If you run a small business, are an online marketer or a blogger who works online, it’s a requisite to market yourself and your product. If you are not visible on social media websites, you are doing online marketing wrong.
Like television and print media in days gone by, it’s the social media sites which are your best bet to let people know about your work and what you do.
In recent years, a lot of new social media sites have come into existence, and with the limited time, you have to be particular about what social media sites you should use. Every social media service has something different to offer for online marketers, and the colossal audience base for each of these websites is a massive bonus for online advertising.
Every time I log into my Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn account, it has advertising messages from various companies. I find some of them interesting while some are of no value. It is, therefore, always be kept in mind, that creating a relevant audience is very important. Online marketers must take care of certain things for making an impact through their social networking channel.
Things to do on social media networks
Here are some basic tricks for online marketers who wish to make it count on social media networks:
- Create and organize a distinct brand name for your company or business. Most of the social media sites I have listed understand the importance of branding, and they offer tools like pages and communities to market your brand.
- Search for the audience which will be of help to increase your marketing efforts instead of merely adding people to your network.
- Manage your campaigns with attractive images and engaging contents. Do remember, social media is all about being social and connecting to your existing user base and finding new prospects.
- Seek feedback from your audience to keep improving.
List of social media sites for online marketers
If you look for social media sites, there are many. But you must pick the ones which have proven themselves in the online marketing sphere. Here is my list of 5 social networking sites, which you should focus on.
- Do start with: How to create your online social-media presence
Without a doubt, Facebook is the number one social networking website in the world. As of the second quarter of 2018, Facebook had 2.23 billion monthly active users. A considerable percentage of people above 40 years of age are also joining Facebook every day, and these are the people with buying capacity. This figure inspired many businesses to create personalized campaigns targeted for their customers. Now, why is Facebook an excellent platform for your brand promotion? Because:
- You can create a unique page for your brand promotion. Try to choose your page name carefully, as you won’t be able to change it once selected. So it’s better to claim the best name that you want.
- One Facebook page carries your business’s complete profile. This step is very crucial, as this will be the first thing that your connections will see. Therefore, take your time to write an ‘About Us’ for your business page.
- Promote your business logo in the page thumbnail. This thumbnail will create the identity of your business. Also, take advantage of the cover image to leave an impact on your audience. Here are tips to make your Facebook page popular.
- While creating this page, you will have an option to enter your contact and company information. Doing so entitles your customers to information at their fingertips. You also have the liberty to choose the business category your business belongs to.
- On this page, you can add more page administrators, which will allow other users to manage your contents and posts, even when you are busy.
- Check this post for 21 Facts About Facebook That You Should Know.
With a network of 500 million users, LinkedIn is the most popular professional networking website. This networking service helps you create a professional profile and manage your connections on your own, within your professional capacity. LinkedIn is also capable of generating a brand identity for your product. Let’s see what it has to offer.
- You can create a group for your brand and promote it within your connections.
- It has an option to personalize your brand’s group in your way.
- Get new connection suggestions out of your existing connections and build your network within your professional networking preference.
- You can use the search feature to find new prospective clients for your business.
- LinkedIn will enable you to add related and useful connections to your professional networking.
Twitter is a network of over 336 million users. The 140-character limit per tweet brings out the best of you in terms of creativity. On an average, Twitter receives 500 million tweets every day. Most celebrities, personalities, businesses, networks, and events are active on Twitter. What added benefit you will get, you may ask.
- With Twitter, you can claim the unique URL of your profile. Example: @ShoutMeLoud
- This is an account where you can personalize profile image, header image, and background fitting to your business.
- You can attach your business website, which can be a readymade access link to your website.
- Open access to Twitter 101, a guideline of hashtags (#), @ messages and replies and best of Twitter network practices to follow.
- Twitter API widget to place on your business website.
Pinterest is the best social bookmarking service with 250 million users as of September 2018. This is a board-style image-pinning networking service, where you can list your business or company for online marketing.
- You can create a business profile on this network.
- Pinterest allows you to create a profile with a personalized username for your business.
- You can connect other social networking profiles with the Pinterest account to display your activity on them. I usually link my Facebook with Pinterest, and whenever I Pin a new image, it automatically shares it on my Facebook account. You can check my Pinterest profile here.
I don’t find Pinterest to be suitable for all kinds of online marketing, but with the growing user base, you need to tap this social networking site for your online marketing needs. Here at ShoutMeLoud, guest authors have shared two amazing posts to get most out of Pinterest.
Industry experts are also hopeful of the growth of MySpace, but that’s more centric to independent music producers and more targeted at the music industry. I also wanted to add YouTube here, but that’s not truly a social media site. That said, you should have a strong presence on YouTube too. Along with this, don’t miss out the sites like Vine, Instagram which also have great potential.
As a blogger, I highly recommend you to have your brand presence on all the above-mentioned social sites and have a strong footprint on Facebook and Google Plus at least.
Remember, a huge number of online marketers are tapping the social sites mentioned above for their success and profit, and you simply need to develop a strategy that works best for your product and your brand.
Do you think I missed any important social media site for online marketing here? If yes, do share it with me in the comments. Don’t forget to share this article with your friends on your favorite social media site.
Subscribe on YouTube