Social media has changed the world of SEO and online marketing.
We’ve recently seen social media having a huge influence in search engine rankings. In the last couple of years, many social media marketing companies are coming onto the market and creating brand awareness via social media promotions.
There was a time when you could only get traffic from search engines (and from paid traffic). But now, the situation has completely changed, and internet marketers and bloggers are using new social media marketing strategies to tap into targeted traffic streams from social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
As a blogger, it is essential to have social media profiles. From a blogging perspective, social media traffic is some of the most targeted traffic available (and it’s free). From a brand perspective, you can get feedback from your loyal supporters via social media campaigns and interactions. Once you’ve built up trust, converting these users into paying customers/subscribers becomes much easier.
Before I go in-depth about the benefits of using social media as a blogger, let’s discuss a few social media marketing basics.
What is Social Media Marketing?
Social media marketing (SMM) is the act of creating brand awareness to drive targeted traffic from social media sites.
These sites include Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, community forums, etc.
SMM relies on user interactions. Any place where people can interact is a place that can be marketed to.
- Social Media: Websites like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, etc. where users (or groups of users) share some kind of media (e.g. videos, images, songs, texts, etc.).
- Social Bookmarking: Websites like Flipboard, Pocket, etc. where users can bookmark their favorite URLs and share them publicly.
- Social News: Websites like Techmeme where users submit news articles that get ranked based on popularity.
- Social Apps: With the increasing usage of Smartphones, we can’t afford to ignore the importance of social apps like Whatsapp, Telegram where users can interact with one another on-the-go.
Popular Social Media Sites:
Check out: Top Social Media Marketing Sites For Promotion
Depending upon your blog’s niche, you need to pick the right social media site to promote on.
Check out this slideshow:
Social Media Marketing for Bloggers
We need to accept the concept that blogging and social media go hand-in-hand. Bloggers need to have a social media presence. This is crucial to the success of a blog.
Benefits of Social Media Marketing for Blogs
It’s impossible to cover promotion techniques for every blog on every social media site because each blog and each social media site works differently. But we can highlight some benefits that you will incur if you start marketing on social media.
Marketing in this way will directly help in driving traffic, generating links, building domain authority, increasing traffic rank, and perhaps most importantly, getting more subscribers.
Overall, SMM will help in driving targeted traffic, and bloggers can benefit from the golden rule:
- More targeted traffic = Higher earnings.
Here are some of the benefits of social media marketing:
- Free, Niche-Oriented Traffic: There are tons of social bookmarking websites floating around on the web. Some of these sites have users who will be really engaged with your content. When you find them, these users will be magnetized to your content, and your site will benefit from hyper-targeted, free traffic.
- Increased Domain Authority: Search engines give a lot of importance to social bookmarks. If a blog is linked with a popular social bookmarking/social media site, it will grow in Domain Authority. For more on increasing DA, read this- How To Increase Your Website’s Domain Authority.
- Better Visibility And Popularity: Most bookmarking websites have a voting/ranking system. If your content is really good, then you will get positive signals from that site which will help in driving targeted traffic to your blog.
- Cheaper and Better Conversions: Using other methods to drive traffic like PPC advertising, CPM advertising, and banner ads are costly, whereas paying for social media traffic is cheap and highly targeted.
- Get Higher Ranking in SERPs: Search engines give some importance to content shared on social media sites. The main purpose of search engines is to provide better results for users. Since those contents are being submitted by individuals, if you’re actively campaigning on Facebook, Twitter, and others, your rank in search engines will increase.
- Better Crawling of Blog: Social media promotion helps in better and faster crawling of your site. Promoting old content on social media sites helps in a better and deeper indexing of your site. You can also try creating resource pages (like SML’s WordPress guide) to always keep old posts relevant and shared on social media.
- Brand Domination: With social media sites, you can turn your blog into a global brand. Users will be active and constantly discussing your blog and your work. This will build your blog’s reputation and authority, ultimately bringing in more and more traffic.
Do’s and Don’ts of Social Media Marketing
Firstly, social media sites are all about being social.
Instead of being a machine, you need to be a human. You need to understand people’s emotions and offer content/media/product based on their moods.
Identify your niche, and cater to that niche.
Getting numbers are good for any business, but focus more on acquiring targeted users. If you throw your net too wide, you may catch negativity from untargeted visitors.
Here are some things you should and should not do on social media sites…
- Engage with users.
- Post in a scheduled manner. Post daily, or at a regular interval.
- Share links/images/video related to your niche.
- Keep an eye on social media trends and upcoming news in your niche.
- Talk about trending topics in your niche/market.
- Keep your profile information up to date.
- Target users based on demographics and interests.
- Monitor your brand presence.
- Keep your brand the same across all platforms. Use Namechk to help.
- Add humor and personal touches to your updates and comments.
- Keep an eye on competitors’ strategies.
- Increase trust and loyalty among your users.
- Avoid over posting.
- Don’t drink and update.
- Avoid spamming (too much self-promotion is spamming).
- Avoid buying fans and users.
- Don’t use bots to increase your numbers.
- Never fight with your readers. Stay calm!
- Avoid insulting your fans and subscribers.
- Don’t ignore any feedback or comments. Acknowledge all of them.
- Don’t spent too much time on social media sites. Your target should be to do business, and a successful business is measured by the number of sales made. From a blogger’s perspective, this could be measured by the amount of traffic driven or conversions made.
Check out: Top 12 Social Media Marketing Mistakes To Avoid
Blogging is not just about SEO and content writing. You also need to focus on increasing your social media conversions and building a brand.
This will not only help you, it will help readers, and “being helpful” is the blogging motto!
Here are some more social media marketing posts to check out:
- Top 14 Benefits Of Social Media Marketing
- How To Improve Site Credibility Through Social Media
- 20 Awesome Tools For Creating Engaging Visuals For Your Blog & Social Media
- Social Media Marketing Tips
- Top 5 Brilliant Ways To Promote Your Small Business On Social Media
- 120+ SMM Terms Explained
Which social media marketing strategies are working the best for you? Let us know in the comments below.
Speaking of social media, don’t forget to share this post! And while you’re there, don’t forget to interact with ShoutMeLoud on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube!
Subscribe on YouTube
17 thoughts on “Benefits of Social Media Marketing in Blogging”
The main purpose of SEO is to provide high pr to owner’s website by using various seo tools and strategies but the work of an SMM is to brand your business in social networking sites and very important to promote your business to make more profit in generating more revenues.
Social Media Platforms can be fruitful for business which are looking forward to wider customer engagement , with the coming up of automatic play video ad’s on facebook , these platforms have become more beneficial for business to reach target customers.
Hi Krishna, I like the most in this post is that you have explained very effectively the social media for bloggers. It’s a general thinking that if you are a blogger then you are a good social media marketer also. But, i think its not right. You have to learn about the digital marketing basics and the promotional aspects also to make your impact on your targeted audiences.
very nice blog but can you tell me which is the best social networking platform among we can use the most to advertise our product with the help of which we can have more conversions in it ?
well, it depends on the type of product which you are selling. Pinterest and Instagram is good for travel, food and fashion. Facebook is good for technology, entertainment etc..
so, promote your product on 2-3 platforms and see which one works best for you.
Social media marketing is just one aspect of the kinds of activities you can engage in online, and it’s not restricted to just short term promotional messaging, but much more. Developing a social media strategy that ties in with your branding and overall marketing strategy will boost brand recognition and help to grow your reach online.
Superb i really enjoyed very much with this article here. Really its a amazing article i had ever read. I hope it will help a lot for all. Thank you so much for this amazing posts and please keep update like this excellent article.
One of the biggest benefits of social media for business is using it to increase your website traffic. Not only does social media help you direct people to your website, but the more social media shares you receive, the higher your search ranking will be.
Seo is basically used to improve your keywords ranking and from content marketing point of view but SMM is used for brand promotion, for increasing leads and sales etc.
Krishna, I see the advantages in these ways – Minimal cost to setup, huge traffic volume, potential to bring more visibility to ur blog, spread the message, allow feedback and review, share with like minded people.
Social media marketing/optimization is one of the most growing form of marketing and promotion activity on the web. The results are seen within a month unlike SEO. SEO Agencies today also offer fruitful service of SMO so that their SEO activities are backed up with proper source as well.
You have shared some really good ideas on social media marketing. However I think since my blog is based on blogging niche This may not be that effective. But anyway thanks for sharing..
I had many doubts related to social media marketing. But now I think all my doubts are cleared. Thank You Harsh
the way bloggers should interact and behave with their readers, as I think that is what matters most, because social media is all about being social and connecting with people.
Cleared all my doubts related to Social Media Marketing, will use it more efficiently from now on with more consideration to conversation rather than just self-promotion
I agree that social media allows sharing old content which leads to better crawling of the site rather than leaving to it to the users to search through the site to find something which is difficult in some cases due to sheer amount of content present.
Well, for thus who have tons of pictures on their site, I suggest also Pinterest. I gave it a try a week ago and it’s not bad. But from my point of view, StumbleUpon is the one who drive the most traffic for me. After, of course, depends of the page submit to StumbleUpon. I’ve got pages that weren’t viewed at all and other up to 60 times for the first day (after it decrease a lot).
You are absolutely right about the way bloggers should interact and behave with their readers, as I think that is what matters most, because social media is all about being social and connecting with people.
Thanks for sharing all the wonderful tips, do’s and don’t.