Social media has changed the world of SEO and online marketing.
Since Google’s “Search, plus Your World“, we’ve seen social media having a huge influence in search engine rankings. In the last couple of years, many social media marketing companies are coming onto the market and creating brand awareness via social media promotions.
There was a time when you could only get traffic from search engines (and from paid traffic). But now, the situation has completely changed, and internet marketers and bloggers are using new social media marketing strategies to tap into targeted traffic streams from social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.
As a blogger, it is essential to have social media profiles. From a blogging perspective, social media traffic is some of the most targeted traffic available (and it’s free). From a brand perspective, you can get feedback from your loyal supporters via social media campaigns and interactions. Once you’ve built up trust, converting these users into paying customers/subscribers becomes much easier.
Before I go in-depth about the benefits of using social media as a blogger, let’s discuss a few social media marketing basics.
What is Social Media Marketing?
Social media marketing (SMM) is the act of creating brand awareness to drive targeted traffic from social media sites.
These sites include Facebook, Twitter, G+, Pinterest, YouTube, Flickr, community forums, etc.
SMM relies on user interactions. Any place where people can interact is a place that can be marketed to.
- Social Media: Websites like Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, YouTube, Flickr, etc. where users (or groups of users) share some kind of media (e.g. videos, images, songs, texts, etc.).
- Social Bookmarking: Websites like Digg, StumbleUpon, Delicious, etc. where users can bookmark their favorite URLs and share them publicly.
- Social News: Websites like Techmeme where users submit news articles that get ranked based on popularity.
- Social Apps: With the increasing usage of Smartphones, we can’t afford to ignore the importance of social apps like Foursquare and Viber where users can interact with one another on-the-go.
Popular Social Media Sites:
- Google+ (Also impact search engine ranking)
Depending upon your blog’s niche, you need to pick the right social media site to promote on.
Check out this slideshow:
Social Media Marketing for Bloggers
We need to accept the concept that blogging and social media go hand-in-hand. Bloggers need to have a social media presence. This is crucial to the success of a blog.
Benefits of Social Media Marketing for Blogs
It’s impossible to cover promotion techniques for every blog on every social media site because each blog and each social media site works differently. But we can highlight some benefits that you will incur if you start marketing on social media.
Marketing in this way will directly help in driving traffic, generating links, building domain authority, increasing traffic rank, and perhaps most importantly, getting more subscribers.
Overall, SMM will help in driving targeted traffic, and bloggers can benefit from the golden rule:
- More targeted traffic = Higher earnings.
Here are some of the benefits of social media marketing:
- Free, Niche-Oriented Traffic: There are tons of social bookmarking websites floating around on the web. Some of these sites have users who will be really engaged with your content. When you find them, these users will be magnetized to your content, and your site will benefit from hyper-targeted, free traffic.
- Increased Domain Authority: Search engines give a lot of importance to social bookmarks. If a blog is linked with a popular social bookmarking/social media site, it will grow in Domain Authority. For more on increasing DA, read this- How To Increase Your Website’s Domain Authority.
- Better Visibility And Popularity: Most bookmarking websites have a voting/ranking system. If your content is really good, then you will get positive signals from that site which will help in driving targeted traffic to your blog.
- Cheaper and Better Conversions: Using other methods to drive traffic like PPC advertising, CPM advertising, and banner ads are costly, whereas paying for social media traffic is cheap and highly targeted.
- Get Higher Ranking in SERPs: Search engines give some importance to content shared on social media sites. The main purpose of search engines is to provide better results for users. Since those contents are being submitted by individuals, if you’re actively campaigning on Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, and others, your rank in search engines will increase.
- Better Crawling of Blog: Social media promotion helps in better and faster crawling of your site. Promoting old content on social media sites helps in a better and deeper indexing of your site. You can also try creating resource pages (like SML’s WordPress guide) to always keep old posts relevant and shared on social media.
- Brand Domination: With social media sites, you can turn your blog into a global brand. Users will be active and constantly discussing your blog and your work. This will build your blog’s reputation and authority, ultimately bringing in more and more traffic.
Do’s and Don’ts of Social Media Marketing
Firstly, social media sites are all about being social.
Instead of being a machine, you need to be a human. You need to understand people’s emotions and offer content/media/product based on their moods.
Identify your niche, and cater to that niche.
Getting numbers are good for any business, but focus more on acquiring targeted users. If you throw your net too wide, you may catch negativity from untargeted visitors.
Here are some things you should and should not do on social media sites…
- Engage with users.
- Post in a scheduled manner. Post daily, or at a regular interval.
- Share links/images/video related to your niche.
- Keep an eye on social media trends and upcoming news in your niche.
- Talk about trending topics in your niche/market.
- Keep your profile information up to date.
- Target users based on demographics and interests.
- Monitor your brand presence.
- Keep your brand the same across all platforms. Use Namechk to help.
- Add humor and personal touches to your updates and comments.
- Keep an eye on competitors’ strategies.
- Increase trust and loyalty among your users.
- Avoid over posting.
- Don’t drink and update.
- Avoid spamming (too much self-promotion is spamming).
- Avoid buying fans and users.
- Don’t use bots to increase your numbers.
- Never fight with your readers. Stay calm!
- Avoid insulting your fans and subscribers.
- Don’t ignore any feedback or comments. Acknowledge all of them.
- Don’t spent too much time on social media sites. Your target should be to do business, and a successful business is measured by the number of sales made. From a blogger’s perspective, this could be measured by the amount of traffic driven or conversions made.
Blogging is not just about SEO and content writing. You also need to focus on increasing your social media conversions and building a brand.
This will not only help you, it will help readers, and “being helpful” is the blogging motto!
Here are some more social media marketing posts to check out:
- Top 14 Benefits Of Social Media Marketing
- How To Improve Site Credibility Through Social Media
- A Guide For CMOs On The Integration Of Social Media With Traditional Marketing
- 20 Awesome Tools For Creating Engaging Visuals For Your Blog & Social Media
- Social Media Marketing Tips
- 7 Smart Ways To Incorporate Content Marketing Into Social Media
- Top 5 Brilliant Ways To Promote Your Small Business On Social Media
- 120+ SMM Terms Explained
Which social media marketing strategies are working the best for you? Let us know in the comments below.
Subscribe on YouTube