When you are managing multiple websites, automating social media sharing helps you to keep posting on your social media profile & drive traffic on auto-pilot.
We have already covered a few of the social media automation techniques for bloggers earlier (linked below). Today, I will be talking about Jetpack’s new feature called “Publicize” which will auto-share your blog content on multiple social networking sites like Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Tumblr.
Before, I get started with this tutorial, here are some of the past posts on social media automation:
- How To Auto-Publish New Blog Posts To Google Plus
- Dlvr.it: Send RSS Feeds to Twitter and Facebook
- SocialOomph: Automate Your Twitter Profile
- TweetFeed: Tweet RSS Feeds of your Blog Post Automatically
- How To Use BufferApp For Social Media Automation
The Jetpack plugin is an essential and multi-purpose plugin powered by Automattic (WordPress’s parent company). They are constantly adding new features like mobile theme options, ShareDaddy, statistics, and much more.
In this tutorial, I will be showing you how to use the auto-sharing feature of Jetpack.
Once you have enabled and activated the plugin, go to Jetpack’s settings from the WordPress dashboard and look for the “Publicize” option.
Here is the official documentation for your reference.
Connecting Your Social Media Account
Click on “Configure”.
This will take you to the sharing settings page where you get an option to connect your social media profile.
Note: I will be showing you how to do this for Twitter and Facebook, but you can configure this for other social networks like LinkedIn, Tumblr, and Yahoo.
Facebook Automation : Share new blog posts automatically
Click on “Connect” in front of Facebook & this will take you to the Facebook permissions page where you need to give Jetpack access to use your Facebook account. You can auto-publish blog posts to your profile wall, or select a page where you wish to auto-publish blog posts.
You can enable this connection for all users, or just for yourself.
Once you’ve selected the page where you want to auto-publish your blog post, and click on “Ok”.
Auto-Publishing newly published posts on Twitter
Similarly, click on “Add new Twitter connection.”
Authenticate Jetpack (WordPress.com) to access to your Twitter account and, like Facebook, you can allow access to all users for this Twitter account, or just yourself.
If you’re connecting with your blog’s official Twitter account, it’s a good idea to keep this connection only for yourself to avoid any spam tweets coming from your account.
Similarly, you will need to do the same for your other social media accounts.
Some important information about the Jetpack plugin auto-sharing feature:
Here are a few important things to know:
- This works only for publishing new posts and will not work for old blog posts/pages.
- Right now, the WP.me URL shortener is used.
- Though you may have added all connections, if you wish to deselect certain social accounts or don’t want to auto-share your blog post, you can click “Edit Publicize” under the “New Post” section and deselect the account.
- You also have the option to add a custom message which will go with your updates. I recommend you use this feature to increase the CTR of your blog post.
To be honest, this is one of the first few things which you should do after setting up WordPress. This is particularly useful for bloggers who have multiple blogs. Now, you don’t need to rely on 3rd party services for auto-sharing your blog posts on social networks.
Do let me know if you find this new feature in Jetpack useful. And also let me know what other 3rd party services you are using for auto-publishing your blog on social networking sites.
Don’t forget to share this post!