WordPress is a PHP and database-based CMS which is often targeted by hackers. However, there are many WordPress plugins out there which are useful in preventing WordPress hacking. Therefore, I have created a list of the Top WordPress Security Plugins which will help you protect your blog from hackers.
We have already talked about how hacked WordPress themes can harm your blog and why you should not download free premium WordPress themes.
Many bloggers still fall for such traps and download WordPress premium stuff from unreliable sources. In most of the cases, you will be unaware of the fact that your blog is hacked. The hacker, in the meanwhile, would be passing link juice to a spam site or probably be using it for unethical purposes.
Let us keep this discussion for some other time. For now, we will look into some of the top WordPress security plugins.
Whenever we talk about improving WordPress security, we suggest some basic security tips such as using WordPress backup plugins, implementing reCAPTCHA test and secure WordPress directory browsing among others.
At times, it’s impossible to do all these tasks at once. The security plugins mentioned below for WordPress will help you take care of all basic and advanced WordPress security issues.
It’s not necessary to keep all these WordPress plugins active all the time but it’s a good security practice to run these plugins once in a while, to make sure your WordPress blog does not contain any malicious code.
List of Top WordPress Security Plugins
If you are planning to use any of these plugins to detect a hacked portion of your blog, I suggest you do the following things before using any of these plugins:
- Update your WordPress blog to the latest version
- Update all themes and plugins to the latest version
- Delete plugins and themes you do not use
- Login to your WordPress blog via FTP and check for files which have recently been modified. Most of the time this is the easiest way to find recently modified files. You can also use a second WordPress security plugin from the list to find recently modified WordPress file.
With one million downloads and a rating of 4.9/5, this is the only security WordPress plugin you will ever need. Before I share the features of the WordFence plugin, check this video out:
This plugin lets you harden your WordPress blog security and also offers real-time protection. This way you can get rid of any ongoing attack on your WordPress blog.
Sucuri Security – Auditing, Malware Scanner and Security Hardening
All In One WP Security & Firewall
This is a popular security plugin. Here are the features on offer:
- Change default admin username to any other username of your choice.
- Stop user enumeration. So users/bots cannot discover user info via author permalink.
- Protect WordPress site from Brute force attack.
- Force logout all users after the specified time.
- See which users are logged into your WordPress dashboard or site.
- You can manually approve user registration.
- Change the WordPress database prefix.
- Identify WordPress files or folder with non-secure permission settings.
Here is the complete video walkthrough of this plugin:
Anti-Malware Security and Brute-Force Firewall:
This is the first WordPress security plugin which I would recommend you to install and use it to find hacked files. I have tried many plugins, but this plugin helped me find hacked files twice and quickly fixed my hacked WordPress blog. This plugin scans your hacked blog against multiple threats and will show you the affected file too. Below is a screenshot from one of my blogs which was hacked around Christmas and I found all the hacked files (it was only because of the theme).
Once you activate and run the scan using this plugin, it will take some time to scan your website. In my case, for a small website (less than 50 posts), it took about 15 minutes.
You can download the plugin here.
It is a very good plugin. It scans WordPress files and database and highlights all codes which may be suspicious. It shows all suspicious encrypted codes such as base64 decode and hidden code by CSS. This plugin is very useful for an expert. <link>
If you know of any other useful security plugins for WordPress blogs that deserve to be on this list of top WordPress security plugins, do let us know in the comment section below. Also, what other methods do you use to prevent your WordPress blog from being hacked?
Here are a few hand-picked guides for you to read next:
- How To Show Last Modified Date On Blog Post Instead Of Published Date in WordPress
- How To Buy Web Hosting With A Free Domain Name For Your WordPress Blog
- 3 Ways to Check if Your Gmail Account Has Been Hacked