Over the period of 7 years of blogging, I have across many WordPress plugins, and at the time of writing this, I have my secret list of Plugins that I’m using on all the blog. As a part of transparency culture, I will be sharing this exclusive list of plugins with you.
Do remember, these plugin is the outcome of my years of experience with blogging, so you can save your time, and pick the best plugin for your blog.
If you just started with WordPress and new to it, you should first read: How to install WordPress plugins. Do remember, I keep changing our plugins, so I suggest you to bookmark this page and keep checking after a month to see the updated list of plugins. The list is not in any particular order, and at the time of writing (January 2016) these are the WordPress plugins which power ShoutMeLoud.
Note: Right now ShoutMeloud is using Genesis Theme + Custom skin design.
List of WordPress Plugins I use on my blog:
Here is a quick list:
- Ad injection: For adding ads
- AffiliateWP: This plugin manages the affiliate program for ShoutMeLoud store.
- Akismet: For handling spam comments
- Author hReview: For Star rating in search engine.
- Broken link checker: For keeping an eye on all broken links & fixing them.
- Clicktotweet: To add Tweetable code within article.
- Comments Not Replied To: This adds a tab in comment moderation section that shows all unreplied comments.
- WP Forms: To add contact form & creating variety of forms here at ShoutMeLoud.
- EasyDigitalDownloads: This plugin helps in setting up a digital download store. Here is a video guide
- Google tag manager for WordPress by Thomas Geiger: Helps in adding Google tag manager code.
- Jetpack by WordPress.com: One of the most popular WordPress plugins offer great features.
- OptinMonster: To add email pop-up
- Peter’s Collaboration E-mails: Sends email to admin & editor when a contributor submit a post.
- Plugmatter Document Importer Pro: Make it easy to add articles with images from Microsoft Word file.
- Q2W3 Fixed Widget: Fixed widget plugin
- Redirection: Manages 301 redirections & 404 errors from WordPress dashboard.
- Roost Web Push: Push notification for desktop browsers.
- SEO friendly images by Vladimir
- SEO smart link business: Automate the internal linking of post & hence enhances SEO.
- Smart App Banner: Makes the Smart App Banner appear on iOS6 and above.
- Ultimate Nofollow: Helps in adding nofollow tag from WordPress post editor section.
- VaultPress: for WordPress backup
- Wangguard: To stop spam registration in WordPress.
- WP security audit log: Keep an eye on user activities inside WordPress dashboard.
- ShortPixel: Compress images without degrading quality. Helps in faster loading of the articles.
- WP Sweep: To optimize & clean WordPress database.
- Yoast SEO: For SEO optimization (On page & Onsite)
- Youtube video subscribe button: Developed by ShoutMeLoud to automatically add a subscribe to Youtube button after every embedded post.
Here is a detailed explanation of most of the listed plugins:
SEO By Yoast:
This is a free WordPress plugin that is the powerhouse of my blog SEO. It helps to optimize on Site SEO, On page SEO & Social SEO of the blog. This is one must have plugin for every blog, and I have written a guide over here to learn about the configuration of this plugin.
Akismet is the first Anti-spam WordPress plugin that I recommend as it is the official plugin for the creator of WordPress which let you fight with Spam comments. Though it has, one downside is that sometimes it skips spam trackback or comments or sometimes legit comments land into the spam folder. Though this usually happens due to previous interaction with I.P or with an email address. So if you are only using Akismet plugin, I would also suggest checking your Spam folder daily. This is one must have plugin that you should have from day one to stop spam comments on your blog. To use Akismet, you need API key, and it’s free for you. You can get one by following this tutorial.
Author hReview WordPress pPlugin
This WordPress plugin is useful for you if you do review post. Using this plugin you can add star rating to your blog post, and it makes it stand out in the search engine. It’s a premium plugin that cost only $69, and it’s a good one time investment.
Cloudflare is a free CDN, that I recommend to every blogger, and this plugin is important for any WordPress blog which is using Cloudflare CDN.
SumoMe plugin for social media sharing buttons:
This plugin let you add social sharing & Social media follow buttons on the blog. This plugin offers beautiful looking social sharing button at various places such as Floating sharing buttons, after post, after comment and Fly in buttons. If you need one plugin that takes care of your social media sharing needs, this is the best plugin for now.
This plugin lets you add the contact form on your blog, and I like it because it also shows the referral URL of the person who is using my contact form to send a message. This helps me to filter down the real and spam message. If you are using Jetpack plugin, you should rather use contact form feature of that plugin.
Jetpack WordPress plugin:
This is a multi-purpose free WordPress plugin that adds the feature like stats, contact form, mobile theme, social sharing button and many more. This is a must-have plugin for your WordPress site and you need to have a free account on WordPress.com to use this plugin. You can learn more about this plugin over here.
This simple plugin adds a widget in your blog sidebar to show recently updated the blog post. Since I update my old posts on regular basis, with the help of this plugin I can feature updated posts on my sidebar for extra exposure. It also helps in re-indexing of updated posts as well as your blog readers can see the list of updated posts.
This is a SEO plugin that controls your blog external link. Using this plugin you can nofollow, remove any existing external link of your blog. It’s a premium plugin and is very powerful and useful for the SEO of your blog. You can read the review and how I use this plugin over here.
No Self Pings:
This useful WordPress plugin let me stop sending the trackback to interlinked posts inside my domain. Read: No self-ping WordPress plugin: Stop pinging your Blog post. <Link>
This is a premium plugin by Syed Balkhi (Man behind WPBeginner) and it is a featured rich plugin. I use it to show Email subscription pop-up and is highly configurable. Even without any designing skills, I can quickly configure and design effective Pop-up for my blog. If you are into eMail marketing and need an easy to use WordPress plugin, look no further than OptinMonster.
Role Manager WordPress plugin:
This is another great plugin for the multi-author blog to define roles. Though this plugin is outdated and when I was trying to configure this for CallingAllgeeks, it was creating some issue. But for now, this plugin is working like a charm for Shoutmeloud. Link>
SEO Friendly Images:
Subscribe to Comments:
This is something that I would recommend to every WordPress blogger. This plugin helps users to subscribe to your blog post comments and especially for a regular reader this is a requisite feature. Subscribe to comments plugin add a check box after comments, where commentator get an option to subscribe to get notified for future comments. Another essential plugin for WordPress, which gives an option to users to subscribe to comments on a particular post. Link>
WordPress Page Navigation plugin
Adding a page navigation helps your readers to move quickly to another page inside your blog. Adding page navigation should be an essential part of any WordPress theme. This plugin let you add page navigation.Link>
WordPress blog to maintain your WordPress database. This plugin can be used to repair the database, backup database, empty or drop tables, Run SQL query or Optimize DB. Link>
WP Status Notifier Plugin:
This plugin notifies me when any blog post is submitted for review and notifies the user when his blog post is accepted. <Link>. Later on, we shifted to peter’s collaboration Email plugin that turns out to be more powerful.
WordPress related post:
I’m using WordPress related post by Zemanta, which is easy to use related post plugin for WordPress. You can select from various display option, it also adds related post in RSS feed, and you can manually edit related post listing for any post.
Here are rest of the plugins that I’m using here at ShoutMeLoud:
- WangGuard to stop spam registration
- VaultPress for WordPress Backup
- Ultimate Nofollow to quickly add Nofollow link attribute.
- Simple Parse Push Service to enable Push notification for my Android app
- SEO Smart link business for automatic internal linking
- Roost Web push for push notifications
- Q2W3 Fixed Widget for making sidebar widget fixed
- Post Expirator for deleting a post after specific date
I will keep updating the post whenever I add or remove a plugin here at ShoutMeLoud. You can bookmark this page & visit it after a month or so to see updated list.
Subscribe on Youtube
Check your domain ranking