When I started blogging I was an idiot, as I thought I’m a good blogger because I was writing a post every day. After 6 years of blogging, I can say there is so much to learn and I’m still a blogging idiot, and so is you. Well, if you accept it and want to improve your blogging skills, here are 85 quick pointers which will make you less of an idiot like me. You should read each of them carefully and follow it properly.
Useful Blogging for Idiots guide:
1. Write daily:
Writing is a habit and more you write, better writer you will become. Also Google loves fresh content. It’s always a good idea to keep your blog updated. If you have busy schedule, you should use post scheduling feature or at-least maintain a post frequency. Some time, it’s hard to maintain a post frequency, in such cases you can hire a content writer or hire full-time writer to do this job for you.
2. Create niche based websites:
One of the most common mistakes which we make when we start blogging is we tries to cover from different niche. When I started ShoutMeLoud, I tried covering Tech stuff, Blogging and World news stuff, which was not a good idea. Now, since we are covering article related to How to blog, it’s bounce rate is going down and page views is increasing. Having a niche based blog helps to get targeted subscribers. Here are few articles which you should read:
- Dominate Google AdSense by Micro-niche site
- How I built a Niche site and earning $174/month from AdSense
3. Write on topics of your interest. :
Do you need an explanation? It’s better to select a blogging niche, which is of your interest. Blogging for money is good but you what’s the point when your blog will die after some time, as you will run out of topic. Pick a niche, which is of your interest.
4. Write Guest Articles:
I would call this one as one of the best tip in this Blogging for Idiots guide. It’s related to link building and brand promotion. Guest blogging helps you to get free backlinks and also free brand awareness. One of the cheap and most effective way of marketing your blog.
5. Avoid Grammar mistakes :
No matter, for what reason you are writing, but you can’t afford to make grammatical mistakes. It gives bad user experience and also bad for onsite SEO. Eve search engine consider readability and grammar as one of many signals for search engine ranking. If you are from one such country where English is not first language, you can start practicing and learn English in some time.
6. Write limited paid post.:
Paid posts are great way to make money from your blog. But, if you bombard your blog with too many paid posts, this may irritate your regular reader and you will end up losing your regular subscribers.
7. Don’t copy the content:
When we start blogging, we tend to follow other blogs and sometime copy or completely rewriter posts from other blogs. Do remember, none of your action will get un-noticed. So instead of copying somebody else work, create something of your own.
8. Don’t be scared to link out:
When I was a newbie blogger, I don’t used to link out to other websites where I have taken reference for. I used to think my blog bounce rate will increase and readers will move to other blog. This is not true, as adding links will increase the trust factor of your post and more over helps in SEO. If you are worried about bounce rate, I suggest you to make external links open in new tab.
10. Write effective title.
11. Use good looking and SEO friendly theme.
12. Use WordPress as a blogging platform.
13. Design your blog and make it attractive.
14. Take care of SEO of your blog.
15. Test your blog in different browsers:
Firefox, Chrome, Opera, iPhone safari are some of the most common browser and how can you expect to miss out any of this browser. Make sure your blog loads properly on every browser and your design css is compatible with all the browsers.
16. Check your Website
17. Don’t use too much plugins. Plugins can slow your Blog.
18. Take care of blog load time.
19. Don’t display to many ads on your blog.
21. Allow guest posting.
22. Build a community out of your blog.
24. Use Twitter to promote your articles.
25. Use Facebook to promote your articles.
26. Don’t spam your social-media account timeline.
28. Don’t waste your time on browsing Social media sites.
29. Use Copygator tool to check who is copying your post.
30. Set up your home work area as an office.
31. Avoid any clutter on your room.
32. Use sound proof room (or use sound proof earphones).
33. Lightening condition of your room should be good.
34. Take care of your eyes.
35. Use mind-mapping tool.
36. Consult your doctor time to time.
37. Treat your working area like an office.
38. Use white board.
39. Turn off all the distractions while writing post.
40. Use Time management application.
41. Comment on other blogs.
43. Make a planning for your work.
44. Try to stick with your planning.
45. Read top blogs of your niche.
45. Read Problogger.
46. Use Google Adsense.
47. Use Buysellads.
48. Always read blogs and books.
49. Use Keywords in Title.
50. Post length should be between 250 to 600.
51. Maintain Good blog frequency.
52. Write informational post.
53. Write review post.
54. Write list post.
56. Research carefully.
57. Write posts in series.
58. Draft your article and schedule it.
59. Ask questions at the end of article.
60.on your blog.
61. Be controversial (small extent).
62. Request links from bloggers.
63. Run competition on your blog.
64. Use social media sites such as Digg, Stumbleupon, Twitter effectively.
65. Write valuable content.
66. Use heading tags (H1, H2 etc.).
67. Use related post plugin.
68. Interlink your post.
69. Use post excerpts.
70. Use categories and tags effectively.
71. Subscribe good blogs and read them in feed reader.
72. Use forums.
73. Interact and connect with other bloggers in your niche.
74. Read latest blogging tips on blogs like ShoutMeLoud, Problogger, Dailyblogtips to improve your blogging skills.
76. Use Windows Livewriter if you are using Windows.
77. Useto take a screenshot.
79. Use Flickr as image storage and image search for blog.
80. Use Stock photos websites to find image for your blog. Make sure images are relevant to the article. You can also use Canva to create beautiful images.
81. Use Pingomatic to ping your blog.
82. Useto generate favicon for your blog.
83. Use best WordPress plugins.
84. Generate sitemap for your blog.
85. Use robots.txt to protect your blog from duplicate content issue
These are some basic Blogging for Idiots tips for bloggers. Do you have some more Blogging tips? Mention your tips in comment section.