Few days back I was talking to one of the budding blogger on Phone and he was worried about his motivation for Blogging. Here is the first few line of conversation I had with him over the phone. Let me call him Mister X.
- Me: Hi what happened? Why are you so demotivated?
- Mister X: Harsh I have worked on my blog for many months and this is my 4th blog and probably the last one. I’m still getting only 100+ odd views and people are commenting just because of back links like “Nice post” “useful posts” and at times I do get negative comments and that discourages me a lot.
- Me: Why did you start Blogging?
- Mister X: I started Blogging because I like it and it’s my passion. I’m Blogging for last 4 years and I like when people like my post and follow me. Secondary reason is money, which is not the main reason but will be a major one later in my life.
- Me: What kind of people you follow on Social networking sites?
- Mister X: Mostly Bloggers and internet marketers.
- Me: How do you feel when people talk about their success stories on Facebook or Twitter.
- Mister X: Some of them motivates me and few of them demotivates me. People who started with me and doing great demotivates me, where as blogs like ShoutMeLoud, HellboundBlogger motivates me, as I want to be like them.
Honestly, when I was having this conversation with Mister X, I was aware of his problem. This is one common phase of Blogging life, which most of the Blogger are facing. I have faced it too in the initial days of my blogging and I faced it last year, when ShoutMeLoud got hit by Panda.
And then I shared few of my experiences, gave him few tips and at the same time it gave me idea for this blog post. I’m sure many of you (New and budding bloggers) are also facing the same issue but until and unless you don’t take any action, you might end up as a failed blogger or quit blogging.
In this article, I will be sharing few tips which will help you to bring back the motivation for blogging again and stop being demotivated.
Bring back your motivation factor for Blogging:
Blog for yourself first and then for others:
You must have read a lot about writing for readers and it’s true. Though, to capture the audience for your blog you need to write for yourself first. One of the mistake which new bloggers do is by copying someone else style. Your blog is your personal space and it reflects your identity and your voice. You might not capture thousands of fans in a day or in a month or even in a year, but if your blog post is helping even a single person, it’s worth your time.
Just stick to your niche and write anything that interest you. One of the biggest misconception is, what’s the point of writing something which is written hundred of times. But the fact is, every day new internet user is born and your blog might be the first few Websites which a new user will come across. He might have never heard about Google analytics or even blogging before. So, write everything that you are learning and doing in your day-to-day life. Repeating myself again: stick to your niche.
Start from Basic to advanced:
This is another mistake with your blog content strategy. Most of the blogger starts from middle or directly goes to advanced. For instance, you end up talking about Hostgator hosting but you have never shared what is Webhosting and why you need one, how do you expect to build a readership with no end to end content. When I talk about readership, you need to have pile of content that make a reader stick to your blog and help him understand every in and out of topic he is reading about.
For example, in this case mister X has written about one of the premium SEO plugin and he was not happy with the comments he was getting. Well, first few questions which you should ask yourself:
- When you see a Blog content with affiliate links, how do you feel?
- Have you covered the other topic in the same niche?
- Have you told them what’s the benefit of SEO, why SEO is important for your Blog?
Solution: Sit down and plan a content strategy for your blog. Write down every basic to advance topic you can cover. This will help a starter to learn something new and when your content is moved from beginner level to intermediate level, your blog readership level will grow.
Blog without any materialistic view:
There is always a motto behind blogging and when I started, It was all about knowledge sharing. I write about anything which interests me and money and fan following was never in my mind. Even first few thank you comment helped me to motivate a lot for blogging and to write more. This is my story and yours may be different.
But when you blog with such materialistic motives, you miss out the most simple fundamental of Blogging: I blog because I like.
Your Blog is your personal space and you should write anything that comes in your mind and that interest you. Sooner or later, all like minded people will follow you and will love to learn new things from you. Don’t blog for money or for fan following, Blog for yourself and let it be a reason through out for making yourself one of the A-list blogger.
Forget social networking, focus on Blogging:
Yes, I know social networking is important but at the same time Social networking is a big demotivating factor for many. When you sit in a room for hours and you see someone updating about his trip to Las vegas, you feel miserable. To be honest, I feel miserable and I badly want to do that too. I want to get out of my office and take a trip to some new destination. Though, I know time will come and I will get a chance to do that too. But in that situation, such updates are not very healthy and I had a great discussion about this with one of my psychiatrist friend.
Similarly, when other blogger keep talking about “my blog achieved this” “My blog earned this much” it become demotivational factor for many.
Either you can think like me, and take action to reach there or you can simply stop using such social networking sites for Blogging. Use Social networking sites for creating real-life connection. Connecting with right set of people and learning new stuff.
If you are just sharing links and expecting hundred of people to jump on your blog post, it’s not going to happen. Use blog commenting rather. Comment on other blogs and not only it will drive targeted traffic but you will end up creating lots of genuine connection.
Another reason here for Mister X demotivation is, his social networking site is full of Bloggers and they are already aware of things which he is writing most of the time. Obviously, it won’t interest them a lot and instead of focusing on them, he should focus on people who are new to this field and want to learn more.
My story: When I started blogging in 2008, I commented a lot. I commented not for backlinks, but I commented for right reasons. I commented on Blog posts which motivated me, which taught me something or which triggered my thought process. I ended up commenting with my view, my disagreement, adding something which was missing in the topic and this way I ended up creating lots of comment. Yes, I got the benefit of branding, backlinks and I created lots of connection with this process. And it’s one of the big reason for ShoutMeloud growth.
Use Social networking only for right reasons, use it for networking and not for self promotion.
Have a blog business plan:
Now, at the same time have a business plan for your blog. If you wish to make money, have a plan for the same. Make a content generation plan, blog monetization plan, marketing plan, growth plan and so on. With time, your blog plan will change according to readership and according to need of your readers.
- Simple and Effective business plan for Bloggers
- How to write a simple business plan for your blog in 9 easy steps
Things not to do:
- Don’t blog, just for money.
- Blog for passion and blog for yourself.
- Before publishing a blog post ask yourself one question: Is it helping me or is it helping even a single person, and then hit the publish button.
- Ignore other blog and bloggers which discourages you instead of motivating you.
- When you see other successful blog, think what action you can take to reach there and start taking action.
- Read: How to transform your life today?
- 20 motivation hacks
- How to boost confidence and motivate yourself
- Take a Self motivation quiz
When ever you are demotivated for Blogging, go back to past and ask yourself: Why I’m Blogging and why I started Blogging. Go through your old content and read the happy comments, that helped few to learn or helped them in fixing their problem. Here is a motivational video message for you:
Do let me know what things demotivate you from blogging and how you bring back the motivation?