To comment on something is a way to vent out your opinion on the same. It is a privilege given to every single individual who firstly is fed with knowledge on a topic and then asked to divulge his say on it. Comments also acts as a feedback to the daily blogger, a measure to the response his blog is getting from users all around. Positive comments encourage the blogger to take his blog to a new higher level, whereas negative Blog comments act as a demoralizer to bloggers; well, to some of-course. To some others, they act as a tutorial, a guide by which improvement on blogs can be achieved. To still some others, negative comments are a mere provocation, not at all worthy of use or attention.
Whichever may be the case, dealing negative comments is an art that needs learning with a simple level of maturity. We here, take a look at how negative comments, however provocative they might be, are to be dealt with and replied to.
How to Deal With Negative Blog Comments :
1. Firstly, you should have a cool head that acts as a think-tank and a minimal level of maturity to handle provocation.
2. Read and re-read the comment in order to fully understand what the reader wants to say. Acting haste may be an act resulting in unfavorable consequences. Hence, it’s advisable to take time, think and then respond to the comment.
3. Your opinion on a topic may be a unique one, not likely to match with others. If a comment disagreeing with your say comes across, try to see the topic from the reader’s point of view. If it looks better, make sure to congratulate him; if not, just point out his flaws with a touch of professionalism.
4. A reader might have just come up with a new look at your topic and have pointed out your flaws. Go further into the details and take a look for yourself if the comment is really true. You might just have overlooked quite something. You might learn something new. After all, it simply adds up to your experience. In such a case make sure to thank him.
5. Often, you may face a comment that is really aggressive enough to make you react unprofessional, to say the least. These comments are highly provocative and are posted just to instigate you to take a step that will more expectedly be harmful to you. Hence that is certainly not a commendable task to perform. It’s advised to face such type of comments with a touch of professional humor. It’s better not to pay heed to these comments, leave alone responding to them. However, if you do want to respond to such comments, do it with polite humor and of-course being professional. Under any circumstances, make sure not to react aggressively or unprofessionally. Then delete it.
- Read: 4 recipe for writing Great Blog comments.
We hope that this article is surely going to help you deal with comments that are, to say, not so friendly. Do let us know how do your deal with angry or negative comments on your blog?
Subscribe on YouTube
27 thoughts on “5 Sure-Fire Ways To Deal with Negative Blog Comments”
Writing good comments is an art and it comes with experience. Bloggers should promote healthy conversation and often good post ideas come out of such conversations.
Both writing an article and giving comments require skills! A ‘good’ writer will always appreciate the comments of a ‘good’ reviewer irrespective of the fact that comments are positive or negative. The task of the writer is challenging as he has to EXTRACT from the comments and this gives scope for improvement.
Excellent post. Till now I didn’t get any negative comments in my blog. Now I know how to deal with them even if i get one.
I’m glad Sathish that this Guest post helped you 🙂
Glad knowing that I could help you.
Still i am happy , boz not getting negative comment in my Site
Techshares, there is a saying, when people start Criticizing you, it means you becoming popular.. I would rather suggest to hope for some negative comments 😉
Harsh, you are write. Critics does not waste there time for general people.
i have had to deal with a lot of neg comments. The only thing required is to think it over and always respond calmly!
So what all steps do you take Vivek to respond ? Any special technique you use? Do you accept all negative comments or trash them in between?
Fortunately, I haven’t received that many negative comments. But the times I have, I have always waited 24 hours before answering (I really recommend that you do this, it works great).
I had to cool down first and be sure to write a reply that made the conversation interesting and not just sound grumpy 🙂
Jens I didn’t understand your point on waiting for waiting for 24 hours. Do you meant to say, wait for the time to relax and reply with cool mind?
Sorry about that. I meant to say what you just said, that if you get a negative comment from a reader who flames you, cool down for 24 hours and address his concerns in a professional way (never flame the reader / commentator).
What’s great to remember is that negative comments encourage discussions.
Sometimes negative comments improves a lot in which you were lacking behind but maximum times, it makes a blogger discourage to write more… They End Up their blogging….
So, if you have the tackling ability to debate on those comments then start debating.. or else delete those comments!
I agree with your View Arijit. Very useful comment…
I didn’t got any negative comments, some people told me some changes and pointed some mistakes.
Such comments are constructive as they help you to build a better blog, you are really lucky with this Anish 🙂
you know what…negative comments inspires me…i take them as a challenge and vows to improve my blog
Tushar if Negative comments are made in a way to make you understand your fault it’s always great. After all people learn from mistakes, though if negative comments are made to offend you, I believe you should know how to take care of that as well 😉
nice post tanmay. ,..well till today i haven’t got any negative comment, rather am not getting comments only…lol…hope i get comments in the future.. well nice tips dude.
Ashin Try to form a commenting community. Many bloggers follow Wefollow comment nature, you comment and they will reciprocate. In Initial stage, it helps a lot…. 🙂
Nice article man.
Thanks Anup for your comment 🙂
You have to understand the commentor based on the message you’re explaining in your post and their comment. It may not actually be negative at all.
In fact, sometimes it’s better to have opposing views because it can open a discussion in the comments unlike everyone just blindly agreeing with you.
However, if the comment is flat out hate-speech, just delete it.
Comments some time helps you to adjudge yourself. So do give importance of each comment and try to analyze that. It may open some new idea for you.
IMHO, dealing with a negative, or positive, comment involves taking it to improve yourself. It’s just that you cannot please everyone so just move on. No point dwelling too much on something not worth it.
SEOP useful comment, though I will suggest try to deal with every negative comments, if it’s complete lame comment there is always Trash and Spam comment, But if negative comment is made by mistake. you can always help commentator understand why you are right, probably this will help you to get 2-3 loyal readers.
Will love to hear your response on this…