Article marketing campaign or Guest posting campaign is one of the easiest and cheapest solutions to get quality backlinks, branding and set yourself as an expert in your niche. Though, many people who have recently learned about Benefits of Guest posting, they are not using it to full potential.
Here I’m going to share some tips from my personal experience and some from your article marketing campaign to improve your web presence and your domain ranking and value.
Here I’m naming Guest posting as Article marketing, because these days posting on guest blog is much beneficial then posting on Article directories. You should also see this post Article marketing vs. Guest posting and decide which one is best approach.
If you are a Blogger, you might realize most of the blogs now offer guest posting submission. You can submit a quality guest post and get free backlinks and recognition. Similar to what we do here at ShoutMeLoud (Check: Submit Guest post).
What is Article marketing campaign?
In plain words, when you start writing guest posts on other blogs. In technical words, it was limited to article directories earlier but now it’s moved to Blogs and Websites. You can read Wiki article on Article marketing, which gives you technical description. When we talk about setting up a campaign, it consists of many things that includes what do you want to achieve from your campaign. So, lets look into some of the benefits or goals which you can set with this campaign. This goal plan will work for any Business Website or for your professional Blogging career.
One of the direct benefit of guest posting is branding. When you post on a Website, which not only refer your name but shows your author image (Gravatar), it adds more into your credibility. People know you or if you are posting as some brand, it will help you to give more visibility to your brand.
Backlinks are the major reasons why you are getting so many request for guest posting. A typical Email which you will get from a freelance writer or an Internet marketer, would be like:
“Hi, I would like to publish a quality and unpublished post, specially written for your blog. In return, all I need is 1-2 backlink to my website/client website.”
Backlinks help you to improve your Keyword ranking and also domain value. Specially, post panda days it’s important to keep maintaining a decent link building strategy and Guest posting fits best in this.
If you are one of those, who created a product or offering a service, this is another great strategy. Based on your niche, you can guest post on Blog which has good audience and meet your target customer requirement. Add a meaningful post and do a soft promotion of your product.
Giving shape to your Guest posting Campaign:
I believe by now, you got a clear picture of what are benefits you are going to get with your campaign. Now, lets put everything strategically. Let’s try to learn how you can make most out of your guest post campaign and how you will use this opportunity for maximum visibility.
Have a list of target Blogs:
The very stage is preparation. This is where, I would like you to spend maximum time and maximum energy. I use Google docs to maintain my list and it helps me in sorting it and sharing it any time.
I usually create a list of blogs and also create different column to quickly sort them. Usually my list contains following details:
- Blog Link: Do you really want me to explain this?
- Blog Niche: Identify blog niche by looking at some of the popular articles. You can use Alexa or other sites to find for what Keyword that blog is getting maximum traffic. Or what kind of content is liked by the audience. This will help you in better way, which I will explain later in this article.
- Relation: Blogging is also about creating good relation with other bloggers. Some bloggers are very active on social media and some are loner. Now, depending upon your interaction with fellow blogger, make a column for the same. This will help you to connect with blog owners, as you will try to dig down their social media presence and personal identity.
- Page rank : This is one important column which I maintain, reason being it helps me maximize my output. As I mentioned, reasons for guest posting /Article marketing is to create backlinks or increase visibility. If my sole reason for guest posting is backlinks and page rank, I would pick blogs with high page rank. If it’s for branding and to reach more audience, I would pick a blog with community around and of-course which belongs to my niche. Preferably, blog where we can expect lots of comments and reactions. Use Bulk page rank checker tools, to find PR of any blog/Website.
- No. of Allowed Back-links: Some blog allow 1-3 in post backlinks and some just give only one author bio links. This is again relevant to my above strategy (Page rank).
- Submission process: I created another column which describe submission process. My best pick are blogs which allow submission from dashboard. This makes the whole process easy. If you have a WordPress blog, you can refer to following guides to make your blog multi-author blog with dashboard submission. Useful WordPress Plugin for multi-author blogs.
- Quality of guest post: Every blog have different strategy for guest blogger. Some accept only well researched and articles which is written after personal experience. Some blogs, accept post with 1-2 Web apps., software review or small list posts. Give a difficulty level to the quality, this will again be helpful in longer run.
- Author markup: Some blogs already integrated Google authorship, and it’s a good idea to maintain a column for the same. It may not sound really useful now, but I’m sure after some time it will be a major factor in ranking and CTR of articles. It will help big time in branding and also to get more CTR on your guest article.
I know above list might take some time to build, but for long run it works great and it will be helpful and make your work easier.
Create a list of Guest post article Title’s:
Alright, now it’s time to work on creating a list of guest post title. Make sure, you stick to target niche and don’t come up with random posts. For example, if my target is to promote my blog consultancy service, I would stick to some of the general Blogging problems and ways to promote your blog. So, here is quick 5 titles I can think of right away:
- How to use Social media for Blog promotion
- Optimizing your content for search engine
- Why social media presence is important for Bloggers
- How to leverage social media for your benefit
- 5 Social media sites, where every Bloggers should leave a Footprint
If you will notice, all my guest posts are closely related but they are different. Though, you can create your own strategy depending upon your target blog. Having a list is always helpful and it’s closely related to Mind mapping, which we usually do for our blogs.
Create Pillar post/Landing page on your blog:
Now, as I mentioned above we will not be using article marketing just for backlinks, but our strategy here is to get traffic in long run. Else, ROI from your article marketing campaign will never be up to mark. So my strategy here is not to just get a backlink, but also to drive traffic and convert that one time traffic into subscribers.
I will start working on my pillar post, before working on campaign. So, I have to come up with a post which anyone would like to link to and works perfectly for other visitors.
So, here is some of the post which can work:
- Well researched post
- List posts (preferably 51,101 list posts)
- A useful list of 101 social media articles from web.
Things we have done till now:
- Pillar post: Done
- List of Blogs to guest post: Done
- Ideas for Guest post title : Done
Shooting the star with first guest post:
So, now start working on your first guest post. Make sure you do a proper Keyword research and optimize your content with the help of our Onpage optimization guide. Your target should be more than backlink and authority, this is something which people miss most of the time. Write a post with a Keyword in mind, idea is to make your guest article rank well in search engine. If you are submitting a post on authority blog, it will be easier for you to rank and more over, you will keep getting traffic for longer run.
Things to keep in mind while crafting guest post:
Soft promotion: Your article marketing campaign, is designed to help you in some way. If you are missing the process of soft promotion about your brand, you are not making most out of it. If there is a chance for soft-promotion, utilize it. For example, If my post title says, How to increase Google+ followers, I won’t mind saying I’m the 3rd most followed person on Google+ from my country and I used following strategy and why it will work for you too. ( Did I just used self promotion? ), make sure your soft promotion, doesn’t look or sounds like over-rated and direct promotion. Every one hates it.
Backlinks: So, most common suggestion you would get is link to your blog posts and get backlinks. Yah, this is right but why to do same thing which hundred of others are doing. Lets think out of the box, and not only work for your own article boost, but also boost your guest post ranking. Your target is to get as much traffic as you can drive to your blog and also toyour guest posts. Because directly or indirectly, it’s going to help you.
Article is live on Guest blog, what next?
So, your work and effort starts paying off. Now, time to leverage your guest post for benefit. Lets, see how we can do it.
Sharing is caring:
You have written an awesome article as a guest author and now share it with your audience. Share it on Fb page, Google+ page, Twitter and anywhere you are active. If you are using Digg, delicious, Stumble Upon bookmark it. When sharing with your direct audience, don’t forget to add a personal remark and comment. This will help in creating better reputation among your own audience and also it will set you ahead of normal league. Make sense? If not, ask in comments. In similar way, keep sharing your guest post after certain time frame.
This is where most of your guest post campaign never gives 100% result. How many of you reply to all comments in a Guest post? A comment reply is like a normal comment, but when you reply to every commentator, it adds more into personal touch and you just turned one commentator into happy commentator. Reply to all commentator genuinely and don’t forget to strike a conversation if possible. This will bring more engagement to your guest post. More over, with every comment, you increasing chance to drive more traffic to your Website.
Links, Links and Links:
When ever you get a chance and is appropriate, link to your guest post from your own blog. Again, same theory, increase the value of your guest post and your audience will be happy to see your presence everywhere. Don’t let your campaign die, let all your post live forever.
- Recommended reading: How to mesmerize your audience with daily guest posts.
Now, if your strategy is ready and you are all geared up with your article marketing campaign, it’s time to let the ball rolling and let the magic of guest posting begins. You want to add your own tip, don’t forget to share and let me know via comment.