Remember a couple of decades back how difficult it was to find a teacher when we wanted to learn something new? Whether a curriculum course, a professional course or any hobby that we wanted to pursue, we would ask our friends or family to suggest a class in our local area, and if were unable to find such a class, we would be forced by the lack of availability to give up the pursuit of our dreams, passions or hobbies. Those of us who are from smaller towns and cities would have particularly few resources available.
The steep rise of online business aided by the growth of the Internet over the past 20 years or so has resulted in a great shift to online resources. And why not – when we can locate and learn from excellent connoisseurs around the globe at a nominal price?
What Is Udemy?
Udemy is a platform that brings a teacher and a student together. It is one of the best online platforms for this purpose as it provides ample amounts of support and free tools to instructors to build a course and monetize it. It also offers the teacher tips to improve his skills, teaching style and the course itself.
Anyone can create a course on Udemy on any subject in which they are knowledgeable, and can offer it to millions of students on Udemy.com. Currently, Udemy has around 6 million students across 190 countries and offers courses in 100 languages. Udemy’s top 10 instructors have earned more than $17 million to date.
Could you be the next millionaire educator? To find out, you’ll need to get started with Udemy today.
How to launch your course on Udemy:
Let’s have a quick look at the process of submitting your first course. If you don’t have your course ready, skip to next part or wait for my upcoming articles.
- Sign Up: Go to https://www.udemy.com/ and sign up for a free account. By signing up for the account, you will have access to millions of free and paid courses available on Udemy. You can either create a course or learn anything you want based on your interests. Signing up is easy, and Udemy is simple to use.
- How to create your course: Once you have signed up, click on “Browse Courses” and “Go to My Courses”. There you will find a page that looks like the screen shot below. Simply click on “Teaching”, and then “Create a course”. You are now ready to become an instructor!
Once you have decided the topic of your course, you will find thousands of courses similar to yours’ available on Udemy. For this reason, it is essential for you to stand out and differentiate yourself from the other available instructors and courses on the subject matter you wish to teach. In order to do this, it is crucial that you plan a distinct strategy to approach your target audience with course material that will interest them in your course in particular.
The four significant steps in launching your content in the marketplace are as follows:
I will be discussing these steps in greater detail in my upcoming articles, so for now let’s stick with the basics.
Once you have followed the above steps, you are ready to step out into the Udemy ring and earn your fair market share as an instructor.
How the Udemy revenue model works:
There is no fee involved for creating a course in Udemy.
For selling, Udemy offers different revenue models based on whether the lead is through Udemy’s organic traffic, advertising campaign, affiliate marketing or entirely through the instructor.
- Instructor promotion: 100% of the revenue from sales is given to the instructor if he has generated the lead. For this purpose, the instructor can create a coupon code and share it in his circle, and anyone using his code to buy his course will be counted as his lead.
- Udemy organic traffic: A 50%-50% revenue sharing model will apply if the lead comes to Udemy through organic traffic.
- Others: The revenue sharing model will vary between 25% to 97% based on whether the lead to Udemy is through affiliates, ads, deals, etc.
Note: Effective April 4, 2016, all Udemy courses will be priced from $20-$50 each. In addition, they will still run promotions for students, but discounts will be capped at 50% off.
Resources for Udemy:
Udemy will help you from the very first step of creating your course to the promotion of it. There are many free resources available on Udemy, which will guide you through all the steps in making your course successful. In my opinion, this is one of the best advantages that Udemy provides.
- You can learn more about Udemy support here.
- You can also join the Udemy Studio on Facebook where you can get feedback and help on your course from thousands of other Udemy instructors.
This is the first in a series of articles which ShoutMeLoud plans to publish about Udemy. Be sure to subscribe to our email list to stay updated about our upcoming articles.
If you find the information in this post useful, please share it with your friends and colleagues on Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus.
For further reading:
- 5 Best WordPress Plugins For Creating Online Courses
- 6 Proven ways to market your Udemy course
- How to create a successful & profitable course in Udemy
Subscribe on YouTube