One of the most essential and free things which I suggest to every blogger is set up Feedburner after creating your WordPress blog or BlogSpot blog. It’s very easy to burn your feed using Feedburner and it offers some great Email newsletter features like Free Email subscription, Email delivery time, Email subject title and so on.
As a free option, Feedburner is the best but I miss many features when I compare to other paid and cheap options available in the market. Here is a post in which I tried to find out changes, which might make Feedburner best free Email service in Future.
Feedburner is one must have free service for Bloggers to set up RSS feed and track the performance. Feedburner is owner by Google, and you can also use Adsense for feeds to monetize feedburner feeds. Along with this, you can use Feedburner Email subscriptions service to send free Email newsletter to your subscribers and there is no limit to number of subscribers using Feedburner.
When ever you staring a new Blog, make sure your burn the feed very first day. From SEO perspective, it’s a good idea to use Keyword or Brand name in your Feed name. This will make it easier to spot among various other feeds. In this post I’m not going into detail advantages of using Feed-burner, but using this free service from Google, you will be adding more features and functionality to your feeds.
Guide to Set up Feedburner RSS feed:
This is a guide for those Blogspot or WordPress bloggers who are still using the default feed provided by blog platform. By burning your feed via feedburner you are providing more option for branding and controlling and tracking your feed and email subscriber.
1. Open Google Feed burner page and login using your Gmail or Google apps account. On the first page you will see an option to add your blog URL. If it’s a new WordPress blog, create a dummy post (Test post) to setup feed burner.
2. Copy your Blog Feed URL and after logging into Google Feed burner account, paste your Blog feed as shown into picture and click on next.
For any WordPress blog your default feed would be something like : http://domain.com/feed .Replace domain.com with actual domain name.
3. In the next page specify the feed name. Keep it same as your domain name. In case if you have a long domain name, you can use the short name for your feeds. Ex: SML ( micro niche site, you should Prefer using your Keyword in Feed title, it’s make your feed reach to more target audience.). If you are creating a
4. In the next screen , you will get a confirmation message stating that your feed is ready.
So now you have successfully created a fedburner feed for your blog. Now, all you need to do is install feedburner feedsmith plugin or FD feedburner plugin, and redirect all WordPress default feeds to Feedburner feed. These plugins are simple to configure, and once done, it will automatically take care of redirection. Now, you can make many changes in your Feedburner account, that will ensure you make most out of Email delivery, and feeds. Here are some articles, that will help you to get started:
- How to change feedburner Email delivery time
- How to change Feedburner Email subject title for better CTR
- How to configure Feedburner free Email delivery option
There are many other settings which we need to do to optimize your feeds after burning it using Feedburner, which we will cover in the next upcoming posts.
Do let us know if you faced any problem while setting up your RSS feed?
Subscribe on Youtube
Check your domain ranking