Backlink is one of the most used word in the world of search engine optimization. Many newbies who just started with a blog or a website, often struggle to understand the term backlink. In this section, you will understand what backlinks is and why it’s important in SEO and for your online success.
To start with: Backlinks are incoming links to a webpage. When a web page (Be it yours or any other) link to any other page, it’s called a backlink. In the past, Backlink used to be the major metric for the ranking of a web page. A page with a lot of backlinks tends to rank higher in all major search engines, including Google. Here are common glossaries related to backlinks that you should know.
- Link Juice: When a web page link to any of your article or your website homepage, it passes the link-juice. This link juice helps in ranking of the article and also improves the domain authority. As a blogger, you can stop passing the link juice by using Nofollow tag.
- Nofollow Link: When a website link to another website but the link have Nofollow tag, it doesn’t pass the link juice. No-follow links are not useful for ranking of a page, as it doesn’t contribute anything. Usually, a webmaster uses the Nofollow tag when they are linking out to an unreliable site. Example: Links from commenting on other blogs.
- Do-follow link: By default, all the links that you add in a blog post are do-follow, and it passes the link-juice.
- Linking Root Domains: Number of backlinks coming to your website from a unique domain. Even if a website has linked to your website for 10 times, it would be considered as 1 linked root domain.
- Low-Quality links: Links which comes from harvested sites, automated sites, spam sites or even the porn sites are called low-quality links. Such links to more harm than any good. This is one reason you should be careful when buying backlinks.
- Internal links: Links which are going from one page to another within the same domain are call Internal links and this process is call internal-linking.
- Anchor text: Text which is used to hyperlink is call Anchor text. Anchor text backlinks works great when you are trying to rank for certain keywords.
Advantages of Backlink in SEO:
If you have understood is backlink, it’s time to understand why it’s important for you to create backlinks to your site. Before I talk about the advantages of Backlinks, you need to know that a lot has changed in terms of backlinks in past couple of years. Earlier even a low-quality links helps in ranking a site, but after Google rolled out Penguin algorithm, the whole landscape of backlink is changed.
Now, it’s important to have backlinks from quality sites and should be contextual. If you have a site about fish and you are creating links from other niche sites, it will be of no use. Your goal should be getting links from authoritative and relevant sites. Now, let’s look at how backlink benefits a Website.
Improves organic ranking:
Backlink helps in getting better search engine ranking. If any of your content is getting organic links from other sites, it will naturally rank higher in search engine. Your goal should be creating links to individuals posts/pages along with your homepage.
Faster indexing of site:
Backlink helps search engine bots to discover links to your site and crawl it effectively. For a new website, it’s important to get backlinks as it helps in faster discovery and indexing of your sites.
One of the major benefits of backlink is; it helps in getting referral traffic. Usually such traffic are targeted and have low bounce rate.
How to start getting backlinks?
So, by now you know what a Backlink in SEO means. Now, it’s time to learn few of the simple techniques to generate backlinks to your site. One thing which you should know about Backlink SEO is, it’s not the number of backlink which matters, but it’s the quality of links which matter. If you are using some paid services to get links to your site, you are more likely to get penalised by Google Penguin algo in future.
- Recommended reading : Importance of backlinks
So the question remains how to get backlink for your blog?
- Write Killer articles
- Start Commenting
- Submit to web directories
- 101 ways to generate links
Write Killer articles
This is the best and simple way to get backlink for your blog, is write killer articles. Tutorials and top ten lists articles are a clear cut example of such post, which has great chances to get backlinks from other website as reference. Such articles are based on proper research and practical examples.
Comments are the best and free way to get backlinks. Start commenting on dofollow forum, dofollow blogs and also on . Though if I believe in latest news, that nofollow links doesn’t matter much, start commenting on any blog and you will be benefit with link juice. Commenting helps you to get one-way solid backlinks and moreover you will be getting traffic and better search engine visibility.
Submit to Web directories
This is another easiest way to get backlink by submitting your blog into Web directories. Though this method is not very popular now a days, because finding a legal web directories is not very easy. Specially avoid those web directories, which ask you to put a backlink to their website to get their website into directory. Moreover Stop using any automatic directory submitter if you are using any. Automatic Website submission will make your blog look spam and it can cost you a lot in terms of your Page rank or completely removal of your blog from search engine.
I hope this article will help you understand the basics of backlinks in SEO and why you should start working on getting backlink for your blog. Do you work on getting backlink for your blog? If not, start working on it from now on and forget about traffic and indexing problem.