Being online, there are so many distractions out there, that slow down our work. Especially, if you are a busy person, you need to have a strategy to get more work done in less time.
It should be a combination of smart work and hard work. That includes delegating your work, making most out of your time, removing all distractions, and many more.
I have already shared some of the techniques which I use to stay productive.
There are hell lot of distractions online that will kill your precious time. Here I will share a few more tips, that I started using recently, and it’s helping me to make most out of my time.
After applying many of these tips, I could spend more time on other stuff, which I used to ignore earlier. I started setting priorities for work, maintain a To-do list, and many other small life hacks, which is helping me to stay more productive.
Life hacks to get more work done in less time
1. Don’t open Social Media/Email first thing in the morning
Whenever I look at my browsing habits, I realize I spend quite a time on Facebook, and Email is the first thing I check in the morning. Honestly, this is a bad approach from my end, and now I try to keep myself away from Facebook as much as I could.
For emails, I have dedicated time to checking and replying to Emails. It’s good that you should allocate dedicated time for email. What worked for me is; 30 minutes in the morning, and 30 minutes in the evening.
Facebook is one of the most addictive sites that’s killing most bloggers’ productive time, agree?
How can you make use of Facebook then?
First off, try to make Facebook work for you, not against you! Don’t let Facebook suck your precious time that can be spent on creating great content.
Never open Facebook or any other social media as the first thing in the morning. Your morning should be spent on the following:
- Exercise: Running, Yoga, Gym or anything that make you sweat
- Reading: Spend time learning a new thing or reading your unread material in the Pocket app or Feedly app.
- Meditation: Even a 10-minute meditation can give you so much mental boost, it would nurture your day. You can use Wakingup app to start practicing meditation. Read about meditation benefits here.
- Visualization: Visualizing your day in advance, will help you to stay in your A-game. It is one powerful technique used by leaders of the world. Something, you can integrate into your day to day activity.
- Gratitude: This will help you stay positive, thankful, and grounded to your best self. You can use the “5-minute journal” available as a mobile app or you can even order a physical copy.
For further reading:
- How to deactivate Facebook for killing Facebook addiction
- How to block Facebook on a personal computer
2. Use the Pomodoro technique
Pomodoro is a technique that can help to get more things done in less time. You’ll be more productive when you follow Pomodoro tool. Here’s the summary of Pomodoro technique
- Set the timer for 35 mins
- Focus on ONE task
- Finish at least 7-8 Pomodoro per day
- You can download Pomodoro timer here.
The key factor in making Pomodoro work for you is, don’t give up. It might be difficult to use in the beginning, but you’ll work faster, better, and productive after using Pomodoro for several times.
3. Learn to write faster
Writing faster yet better blog posts always be an asset for any blogger. If you want to be a productive blogger, then you must be learning how to write faster blog posts.
Because, you’ll be spending more time creating content on your blog to make it a success, right?
So, there’s no excuse if you can’t produce great blog posts in less time. Writing faster blog posts is not a skill, but it becomes easy when you have a habit of writing daily – that’s the only secret.
Here are two more ways to write faster blog posts almost every time.
- Use a distraction-free writing tool: There are many distraction-free writing tools that you can use for writing. I use Google docs and sometimes write in WordPress (It has an in-built distraction-free writing mode) It comes with a pleasant background and soothing music, creates a great environment for you to write without having any distractions or noise.
- Don’t edit while writing: This is another tip that will make you write faster blog posts every time. Most bloggers often edit their content to make their posts perfect. I’m not suggesting you don’t edit at all, but make sure you’re focusing on WRITING part first.
Editing and proof-reading can be done later, once you finish writing your blog posts, you can go ahead with the editing part. This way you’ve two benefits, one is, you’ll be writing without any distractions of editing, other is, you’ll be spending time ONLY on editing part once you finished writing the post!
4. Make sure your working space is clean and uncluttered
The working place matters a lot if you’re working from home. You must keep your working desk clean and uncluttered, follow some basic ethics like not bringing snacks on your table, etc.
The more simple your working space is, the more productive you become, it’s as simple as that. If you want to make most of your working space, invest some money in bringing a better table where you can sit without any troubles, make sure your ergonomics is perfect while spending your time on the computer.
4. Create to-do lists each day before you sleep
Todo lists work fantastic if you want to spend productive time online. Because, to-do lists give you clear directions on what to do on a particular day, so your mind always keeps alarming you about your todo lists.
I use ToDoist, which is one of the best cross-platform to-do managers. It syncs all the data and helps me manage my work in a much better way.
How can you create better to-do lists?
Though I use the app, one can always start with a pen and paper. Think on paper. Before creating your to-do lists, write what you want to achieve in a paper. This way there will be no disturbance for you to create and organize your to-do lists. Make sure you’re not putting so many tasks on your to-do lists.
The lesser tasks on your to-do lists, the better you can achieve them all. Limit your to-do lists to 3 to 4 most important tasks. And start working on them one after the other, begin with your most important task in the hand. This way you’ll be able to do more things in less time.
These are some of the many tips that I follow, and it helps me to get more work done in lesser time. I know being online, it’s hard to stay away from multitasking, but if you are serious about your work, and believe in “Time is money“, you should stop multi-tasking.
It may be a little difficult for you to adjust at one go, but with practice, it will be very helpful.
Another thing which I started doing recently is, I stopped working in the night-time. I get up at 7-8 in the morning and sleep by 11. This helped me a lot to maintain a perfect balance between my personal and social life.
Moreover, I don’t feel like an alien, when working at strange hours. Selecting your idle sleeping time is your call, but if you want to save your time and health at the same time, it’s a good idea to start bringing change from today. I also recommend start practicing Yoga and meditation, as it helps you have more energy throughout the day. I talked about this earlier “How to transform your life today“.
Go ahead, try a few of the above tips and let me know if it helped you to become a better person and a blogger or not. If you find this article useful, do consider sharing.
Subscribe on YouTube