Have you ever visited a blog and while you’re there you feel welcome and comfortable? There are lots reasons that make you uncomfortable when in any blog. There are lots of web masters who try to make their site more attractive by displaying lots of flash, animations, videos email subscriptions box, etc. Do you think your blog readers will like that? Ever think of it? No? Well, There are four factors that makes visitors uncomfortable on a blog, these are:
Blog Loading time:
One of the thing that personally irritate me when I access a website, and it takes ages to load. I’m sure you must have faced this issue, and it takes only one click to close that webpage. According to research, the average attention span of a human being is only 9 seconds, and when you are online, you need to make sure your page loads in less than 3 seconds. If not, you are more likely to lose one reader.
There are various ways by which you can make your blog load faster, and I’m listing down some of the major one:
- Use a fast and optimised Webhosting company. Ex: Bluehost
- Compress your images and make it web-ready. You can use the desktop tool like Imageoptim or WordPress plugin like WP Smush.it.
- Use Content delivery network which will make your blog fast. If you are tight in budget, use Cloudflare or when you have budget use MaxCDN.
Too many advertisements ( PPC and Banner)
I understand that your blog needs advertisement to make money so that you can pay your hosting bill and pay other bills too. But don’t be greedy by putting numerous ads on your blog which hampers the readability of the content. Make sure you limit your number of ads and more over place ads outside your content area. Don’t use popup ads as they are the big turn-off for anyone including me.
My suggestion would be used only high-quality and high-paying ads. If you are using AdSense, you should read this guide which teaches you to get high paying ads on your blog. More over, do you know using too many ads above the fold on your blog has negative implications?
Most of your readers land on your blog internal pages, and if you don’t have a clear navigation path, this will make them go right away. This is one reason many blogs have high bounce rate and bad user-experience. To make your blog visitors comfortable, make sure your post structure is clean and you offer a clean layout and navigation. Here are few things which you can do right away:
- Add related post to help readers find more content.
- Add recent posts or popular posts in sidebar
- Your blog navbar should be clean and have links to your important pages. Such as about page, landing page.
The best way to test it out yourself is by going to one of your internal pages and see are you able to move to next pages or not. If not, it’s time for you to change your layout and pick a right theme for your blog.
Other quick tips:
- Don’t use too many widgets in your sidebar.
- Have about page and contact page at the top.
- Put subscription box in the sidebar so that your blog visitors can subscribe.
- Make sure you are serving a mobile optimised version of your blog.
If you plan to create a blog which is loved by your readers you should take care of all big and small things which are affecting good user-experience. The best way to judge is by asking one of your friends to start reading your blog and see where they can go from one page to another. Take their feedback by loading time, reading experience, navigation experience and make changes where ever appropriate.
Subscribe on Youtube
Check your domain ranking