When I started blogging, I used to post the content without interlinking to my older blog posts, and I didn’t notice its importance until I moved to use Blogging as a source of income.
Earlier in those days when I simply do a blog post and promote it on forums, Facebook, etc. I get visitors for that blog post only. Most of the time my visitors take a look at 3-4 posts and then leave my blog.
After analyzing my blog visitors entrance and leaving path from my stats software, I found out that most of my visitor enter my blog at the most recent blog post and leave it after visiting 1 -2 older blog post.
But now when I see my stats I can see that my visitors are spending a longer time on my blog reading my older blogs too, and this is all because of interlinking.
How does Interlinking help in user experience and SEO?
1. Further Reading:
It was not my primary motive to publicize my older posts by interlinking it to my new blog posts but to provide user further reading options and suggestions on where they can explore related topics at my blog.
There is a Related Posts section at the end of my blog posts but the success rate that a user clicks on those link in comparison to the link in the main article is very low.
2. Increased Visitor Length & PageView:
Slowly it becomes my habit to interlink my older post to new one, and this helps in keeping visitors for a longer time, and this may be the reason why I have average visitor length of 6 min and 47 sec (). And yeah, when you use this kind of strategy your page views also increases.
Interlinking your old articles will help you in the broader sense by increase page rank of yourit also helps in building the relevancy of a page to a keyword phrase by which you are linking your article to.
Once you have started linking your article be patient page views and visitor length won’t increase overnight but you will see a substantial increase within a week.
Also try to update in the same manner your old articles too, because the visitor that go from you main article to your older linked article may leave your blog there but if you provide interlinking at your older pages too than again the chain continues.
- While interlinking makes use of good relevant keywords to the article, you’re linking to.
- Don’t start linking every other post to your recent post it will irritate users try to link only relevant posts and only if its necessary don’t try to overload your post.
- Try to add a link to old posts in first 2 paragraph of your post and one link to the last concluding para of your post.
- And yeah don’t think visitors are stupid if you try to act over-smart than be ready to lose your loyal visitors which matters.
- You can make use of SEO Smart links your older posts based on keywords.
And if you have noticed, then in this post I have used interlinks to my older posts, so you might get an idea how to use it isn’t it?