Every Self-hosted WordPress user wonders “If there was a way via which WordPress could be installed offline and all the themes could be tested and corrected as per the requirements offline?” Yes! of course there are hundreds of ways to do this, but most of them are time-consuming and aren’t user friendly and it takes the users nerve to set up WordPress offline.
We have already looked into two other ways to use WordPress offline, and if you have missed it, you can quickly go through both of them:
There’s a post previously written on Shoutmeloud by Harsh, giving instructions to install WordPress offline using Wamp server, but after using Wamp, I felt it’s not as much user friendly as Xampp-Lite! So thought of helping you all out with the Xampp installation! Here’s a quick 5 minute (8 steps) procedure to Install WordPress Offline. In order to run WordPress offline, you need an Apache server and My SQL database(PhpMyAdmin) installed on your system.
How to Install WordPress for Offline usage using XAMPP
1) Download Xampp Lite from the official website Apachefriends.org
2) Install Xampp Lite with Apache and MySql services.
3) After the installation, run Xampp Control panel and start Apache and MySql services as indicated in the image below.
4) We need to configure MySql Databases, Open your web browser and go to http:://localhost.
Select the language of your choice and then go to http://localhost/security/index.php & there change MySql database password.
In this tutorial I have given the password as test. (Password is case-sensitive)
5) Now we have to create MySql Database tables for your WordPress install.
To do this Go to http://localhost/phpmyadmin, Login using root as username and test as password, or the password which you gave in the previous step.
Create a new database through the PhpMyAdmin interface. Give a name for your database and don’t change any other setting (refer the Image below).
6) Now, download the latest version of WordPress from www.wordpress.org
After the download, go to the folder where you installed Xampp, there you will find a folder by name htdocs, open it and extract the latest version of WordPress there.
7) Open the WordPress folder (the one which you extracted in the above step), you will find a file by name wp-config-sample.php, open the file with wordpad and edit the data as per the image.
Save the file and rename it as wp-config.php.
8)Now go to http://localhost/wordpress and install wordpress!!
Now simply go to wp-admin and start playing with your offline WordPress blog. You can do various things with local WordPress blog, as you can try making changes locally before making anything live on online server. Most of WordPress developers, have WordPress installed on their personal laptop/computer, for making quick changes.In next tutorial, we will learn how to transfer data from local WordPress to a live WordPress blog.
Meanwhile if you find any trouble with installing WordPress using XAMPP software, do let me know via comments. If you find this article useful, then do share it on Facebook and Twitter.
If you find any errors in installing or have any queries please post them as comments.
This is a guest post by Abhishek. If you want to write for Shoutmeloud See : Shoutmeloud Revenue sharing program