WordPress is a fun blogging software, and if you are one of those who like to try new things on your WordPress blog, it’s always a good idea to get a local installation of WordPress on your system. You can use it to try new WordPress plugin, making changes in your theme and many more task. Infact, if you have seen WordPress videos on my Youtube channel, you would notice all the videos are created on local WordPress installation.
We have been talking about self hosted WordPress a lot, though many BlogSpot users still feel WordPress as alien platform because they are not familiar with it. To get familiar with WordPress, you can start by creating a free account on WordPress.com or you can install WordPress on your computer to test it on Local environment. Benefits of installing WordPress locally:
- Familiar with WordPress
- Familiar with database
- Make changes locally and then make changes on your online blog
- Local test platform.
How to install WordPress on WAMP:
Using WAMP to install WordPress on localhost needs little bit of technical knowledge, you can also look into instant WordPress, which is a stand alone software for using WordPress on your desktop.
So, lets get started with our tutorial:
1 Install WAMP
In the PHPmail option while installing WAMP, leave it as it is
2. Now extract the WordPress.zip. Create a folder under C:\wamp\www name it as WordPress copy all the files and folders under WordPress folder in C:\wamp\www
3. Start WAMP and start all the services by left clicking on it in the task bar.
4. Open http://localhost/
5. Click on Phpmyadmin and create a database for your WordPress install.
6. Open http://localhost/wordpress and click on create a configuration file.
Now Enter the details as mentioned.
- Database name : Database name you have created (wordpress)
- Username : root
- Password : Leave it blank
- database host : Keep it default (Localhost)
- Database prefix : Keep it default (wp_)
Click on Submit. On next screen click on Run setup
On the next screen add Blog title and Email. Search visibility will not matter here as we are working on Local environment.
On the next page , copy the password and save it. Click on login and login with the password in the screen and user name as admin.
Viola! You have just created a local WordPress test environment using WAMP. You can also use XAMPP to install WordPress locally, but I prefer WAMP over XAMPP. If you are setting up a test server for your team, you can grab unlimited web hosting like Bluehost and install more blogs in sub-domain or sub-directory and use it for testing. For personal use, you should use WAMP or instant WordPress to get WordPress blog on your local Windows computer.
- If you are using Mac, you can refer to: Tutorial to install WordPress locally on Mac using MAMP
If you are stuck anywhere or find issue with installing WordPress using WAMP, do let me know via comments. You can also refer to our WordPress guide for more such tutorials. If you find this guide useful, do share it on Facebook and Twitter.
Subscribe on Youtube
Check your domain ranking