Keywords are one of the most critical and important part of SEO. The basic foundation of SEO is keyword research and then other factors like On page optimization, Quality content, a good site UI and other factors come into the picture. Many companies invest thousands of dollars to pay for keyword research and get such targeted content.
The keywords you choose to focus on for your search engine optimization (SEO) efforts are critical to the success of those efforts. Choosing the right keywords isn’t always easy or intuitive, and you need a lot of data to know whether a given keyword will work for you.
If you are completely new to Keyword research tools and the process, here are some guides from past, which will help you to understand the basics and from here you can lean more about software’s and tools to make your work easier.
Now, I assume you have better understanding of Key words and it’s importance. Fortunately, there are many tools available that can help you figure out which keywords work for your overall web strategy.
Most of these Keyword research tools are paid and only few of them are free. Google Adword keyword tool is my favorite free one but if you need more detailed and competitive analysis, I would recommend to go for advance tools which I have listed below. I also, tried to mention pros and cons of all these tools, and it will help you to pick the best one.
Best Keyword research tools : 2015
Google Keyword planner tool. <Free Signup>
Google Keyword planner tool is one of the most used and popular keyword research tool out there. The only reason for it being so popular is, it’s free and works perfectly with AdWords. To start using this tool you need to have an AdWord account or you can create one for free.
- Features. The biggest feature of keyword planner tool, of course, is the deep information it offers on Google, the largest search engine out there today.
- Limitations. In some ways, that’s also a limitation. If you want to know how your site or a given keyword are doing on other search engines, you can’t get it here.
- Pricing: Free to use.
Keyword planner tool is a good, basic tool for the early stages of SEO for a given site.
SEMRUSh < 15 days free trial>
If you will ask me about one Keyword research tool which I would recommend highly, that would be SEMRUSH. It is not a typical Keyword research tool, it offers more than researching Keyword. Unlike other tools where you need to add seed Keywords to start your research, here you just need to add your competitor URL, and it will show you all the keywords that site is ranking for. This makes it easier for you to find short-tail and long-tail keywords that you can target. You can get more details like Traffic stats, search engine report, Adsense CPC and many other details which you will be needing in your SEO campaign.
You can read a detailed review of SEMRUSH here.
LongTailPro < 10 days Free trial>
LongTailPro is a desktop Keyword research software and one of the most popular in this series. This is a paid keyword research tool, and using it you can find keywords for your niche or micro-niche site. Keyword analysis feature is something that you will love in their platinum version. They also have competition checker, which will make it easier for you to pick the right keyword. LongTailPro is available for Mac and Windows, and way better than Market-Samurai. You can see a detailed review of LongTailPro here.
Keyword Spy. <Signup>
Keyword Spy is an SEO optimization tool that’s primarily used for keyword research. Here’s how you can use Keyword Spy for SEO:
- Uses. Keyword Spy can be used to identify the keywords that your competition is using, as well as do research on keywords for your own website.
- Features. You can use Keyword Spy to create targeted campaigns, view competitor keywords, look at SEO rank software, and even look at regional information.
- Limitations. The tracking features may not be as useful to smaller businesses or in markets that aren’t as competitive.
- Pricing. Pricing ranges from $89.95 per month for a research or tracking account, or $139 for a Professional account that includes both. There are also options for agencies and enterprises.
Keyword Spy can be a useful tool in your overall SEO optimization software strategy, and a good way to understand the marketplace.
Market Samurai. <Signup>
Market Samurai is an installed SEO platform application that can help you to research keywords. Here are some of the things you need to know about this program:
- Uses. Market samurai can be used for many tasks related to SEO both in terms of site planning and in terms of improving your rankings.
- Features. Market Samurai has several different modules, including ones for keyword research, domain research, monetization, content finding, content publishing, and promotions.
- Limitations. The interface isn’t particularly intuitive, with a 5 to 10 hour learning curve.
- Pricing. This app is a one-time purchase of $149.
This product is a good solution for someone looking to make a one-time purchase that will do many tasks.
SEO Book. <Signup>
SEO Book by Aaron Wall is one of the most useful sites in terms of learning about SEO. The site offers tools that you can use in your research, too.
- Uses. The SEO Book platform is primarily used for keyword research and pay per click research.
- Features. This tool can identify related keywords, long tail keywords, search density, and more.
- Limitations. The interface at SEO Book rank software is a bit bulky, and if you want information beyond keywords you’re not going to find it here.
- Pricing. The SEO training program at SEO Book is $300 per Month.
The SEO Book solution is a good one if you only want keyword information.
Spy Fu. <sign up>
SpyFu is one of the best SEO optimization software products on the market if you’re trying to analyze and stay ahead of the competition in a tight niche. Here’s what you need to know about this one:
- Uses. SpyFu is highly useful in two areas: understanding your competition’s SEO platform, and discovering underserved, untapped, or emerging markets.
- Features. There are several modules to SpyFu, each of which accomplishes a different task. There is a module to compare websites, one to look at a keyword’s history, one to look at a domain’s history, and one to find related keywords.
- Limitations. This program doesn’t have the depth of keywords that some competitors do, although this is changing. Also, the data is SpyFu is monthly, rather than real-time.
- Pricing. SpyFu offers two basic pricing plans as well as an Agency plan. The basic plans are $79 or $99 per month, with a discount of more than 40% if you buy a year at a time. The Agency pricing is $999 per month.
SpyFu is a solid SEO rank software product, and useful if you want to check up on the competition as well as find new areas in which to market.
WordTracker. <Sign up>
Wordtracker is used by small businesses to research keywords, build new links, and develop an SEO strategy platform.
- Uses. The three main tools in WordTracker are the Keywords Tool (which helps you research keywords) the LinkBuilder (which identifies inbound link prospects) and the Strategizer which takes a step back and looks at your entire SEO rank software strategy.
- Features. The LinkBuilder tool is unique to WordTracker among the products listed here, and the Strategizer gives you the kind of Bird’s-Eye view you won’t get anywhere else.
- Limitations. WordTracker often gives fewer results than other services, and the interface isn’t particularly intuitive.
- Pricing. WordTracker includes a 30-day free trial. Monthly pricing is $69 per month, or you can subscribe for a full year at $449.
I will not recommend you to pick all the tools listed above, but stick to one or two and get used to system. If you are looking for the easiest solution, go for SEMRUSH. If you are researching keywords for Micro-niche site, you should go for desktop keyword research software like LongTailPro which is cheap and let you check keyword competitiveness.
The hard part of changing your research tool is getting used to system and to avoid, pick anyone software which is listed above. If you have been using Google keyword tool, you are good to start with any other paid and professional tool I listed above. Take a look at some of these tools, and decide which works best for your business today.
Do share which one is your favorite Keyword research tools from the above list and which one you are more likely to suggest others with a price tag?