- What is Keyword Gap Analysis?
- How does finding Keyword Gap help your business?
- How to perform Keyword Gap Analysis?
- What are the best Keyword Gap analysis tools?
When it comes to keyword research, we have a plethora of Keyword research tools to help us. However, what matters is the technique you are using for researching the perfect keyword for your business.
Keyword gap analysis is one such technique that is useful for:
- Bloggers and E-commerce store owners
- Marketing, Ecommerce and Digital marketing managers
- Agencies and SEO consultants
This technique is literally the holy grail of finding new keywords. In this guide, I will teach you everything about Keyword Gap analysis and best practices.
Here we go…
What is Keyword Gap Analysis?
Keyword gap analysis compares two or more competing domains to identify those keywords that the competition is ranking for, but you are not.
The key here is to pick 1-2 competitors or top websites in your niche, use any of the below-mentioned competitor keyword gap analysis tools, and find those keywords driving traffic to your competitor websites.
Thanks to modern keyword gap analysis tools that made this process simple, you could possibly find new opportunities to create content for your’s or client website with a few hours of exercise.
There are many benefits of Competitor Keyword gap analysis, such as:
- The fastest way to find new opportunities
- Find questions that readers ask
- Discover keywords that are working for an existing website
- Find valuable, and high volume keywords in a minute
How to perform Competition Keyword gap analysis?
To get started with the process, you need the following stuff:
- A tool for performing competitive keyword gap analysis (Mentioned @ top and below)
- A list of your competitors
- 1-2 hours of focused time
- An excel sheet or a way to organize your Keywords
Best Tools for Keyword gap analysis
These days, all popular Keyword research tools offer Keyword gap analysis features. Some of the most popular Keyword gap analysis tools these days are:
Most of these tools function similarly, and it is just a matter of your choice. I personally use Semrush as it offers a lot more features than others.
If you have never tried this amazing tool before, you could read my review of Semrush and use this Semrush trial link to take a free test drive for 14 days.
How to find a list of the competitive domain for Competitor Keyword Gap analysis
Now, you need a list of domains competing with your domain in SERP. You can again find this using any of the tools listed above.
Here is how you can do it on Semrush:
- Login to Semrush dashboard
- Type your domain name and click on organic research
Look for “Main Organic Competitors” on the page, and here you will find the list of the organic competitors for the provided domain.
You can click on view all to see the entire list of competitors. You can make a list of 3-4 domains that are relevant to your business. These domains will work as a seed domain for performing the analysis.
It is a good idea to note down these domains on an excel sheet, so that in the future, you don’t have to repeat the process of finding competitive domains.
For new websites:
If you are starting a new blog or a website, you can pick the top websites in your niche, and use that for competitive gap analysis.
How to perform Keyword Gap analysis
After identifying the domains for competitive keyword analysis, let’s jump to the fun part.
The idea here is to compare your domain with other domain names and see which keywords they are ranking for, but you are not.
I usually repeat this process by comparing
- My domain with a single competitive domain name
- My domain with multiple competitive domain names
Both the steps are equally important, and the more time you spend at this stage will help you to identify profitable high-value keyword opportunities.
For the sake of this tutorial, we will compare one domain with multiple domain names.
Click on the Keyword gap tool and enter your domain name and competitor’s domain name.
Now, here you need to click on intersection type to compare your domain with other target domains:
Semrush offers 4 different options for intersection types:
- All keywords – view every keyword that the entered domains are ranking for in Google’s top 100.
- Keywords Unique to the first domain – see the keywords that the first domain ranks for but the second does not.
- Common keywords – view all the keywords that both domains have rankings for in Google’s top 100 results.
- Unique keywords – view the keywords unique to each domain and not shared by any of the other sites.
You can also, use the filters to refine the keywords further. For example, find keywords with a volume > 100
You can create a list of keywords that make sense for your business. You can also export them using the Semrush export feature (Top right) and then import them to your keyword management tool.
Tip: Filtering at this stage is essential, and you should also check for search intent to ensure if that keyword is valuable or not in today’s time.
Keyword Gap Analysis on Ahrefs
Ahrefs is another popular SEO tool, and they offer beginner-friendly keyword gap analysis. One of my SEO friends, Robbie Richard, has created this video showing how you can use the Ahrefs Keyword gap analysis tool:
Ahrefs interface is beginners friendly and easier to use for even novices. By the way, you can learn more about Ahrefs in my detailed Ahrefs review.
Content gap analysis 🤔
Often many SEOs and tools interchangeably use the team keyword gap analysis with content gap analysis.
I believe in the days to come, the content gap analysis should mean only comparing two pieces of content and finding the gap between them.
Until then, enjoy this tutorial on keyword gap analysis. Feel free to ask any questions if you have.
Meanwhile do check out these popular articles from the SEO category:
- Long-Form Content SEO Ranking Strategy: 11 Must-Follow Tips to Rank
- On-page SEO Guide
- WordPress SEO Guide
Subscribe on YouTube
2 thoughts on “Competitor Keyword Gap Analysis Strategy & Tools (Skyrocket Organic Traffic)”
Dont forget about CognitiveSEO’s Content Planner and Keyword Planner. Amazing tool!
Very nice article that shows how to grow our website and get more and more traffic and to get high ranking. We also get top 10 ranking eaisly.
Thanks to shout me loud team.