When I started my Blogging career, I started with BlogSpot and it’s always a wise idea to start with 0 investment when you are complete newbie. After, getting used to basics of Blogging, my next destination was to migrate to WordPress and after migration, I thought of sharing this migrate from BlogSpot to WordPress guide.
We have already covered following topics in the series migrating from BlogSpot to WordPress
- 8 reasons why self hosted blog is better than free blogspot blogs
- How to import your blogger blog posts, comments and user to wordpress
- Step by step guide to Install self hosted wordpress blog on dreamhost hosting
Before you migrate from BlogSpot to wordpress , you need two things : Domain name and hosting.
I suggest dreamhost, and why dreamhost ? You can read about dreamhost hosting on my previous articles
Domain name can be .com, .info, .org, .net but I will suggest go for .com or .org domain address. Do read
There are few things needed to be taken care of while moving from BlogSpot to wordpress
- Traffic : You don’t want to give lots of 404 error pages to your visitors.
- 301 perma redirection : The migration should be 301 perma redirection , else all your posts will be broken.
- Permalinks : BlogSpot permalink and WordPress permalinks are not the same and it’s important that you fix permalink importing everything to WordPress.
Some important things to keep in mind while migrating :
- After migration, don’t delete your BlogSpot blog.
- 301 permanent redirection means telling search engine that has been moved to new place , and all your traffic will automatically redirected to new domain address.
Our goal for BlogSpot to WordPress migration :
- Migrating visitors from blogspot to wordpress
- Migrating blogspot posts to wordpress
- Migrating BlogSpot Comments to WordPress
- Redirecting users to the post, rather then just homepage of new domain
- Migrate Feedburner feeds
- Migrate Picasa hosted Images to WordPress
In this tutorial, I assume your new WordPress blog is located at the root of your host
Like www.shoutmeloud.com/ rather then www.shoutmeloud.com/blog
Step by step process of migrating from Blogspot to WordPress
Step#1 Change your WordPress permalink to match blog spot permalink
On your WordPress dashboard settings> permalinks, change your permalinks to match with blogspot permalinks
Step#2 Importing posts
Importing your blogspot blog post to wordpress : This can be easily done by using import and export feature of wordpress and blogspot respectively.
Refer to my last post on How to import blogspot blog post to wordpress
Step #3 Setting up redirection
Login to your blogspot basboard > Template> Edit HTML
Revert to classic template
Add the following code after <Blogger> , replace Shoutmeloud with your domain name
Between and , add the following code, replace shoutmeloud with your domain name
http-equiv=refresh content=0;url=http://www.shoutmeloud.com/ />
Create a text file and name it as bloggerposts.php
Add the following code in the file and upload the file to the root of your domain using any ftp program, replace Shoutmeloud with your domain name
You can also proceed immediately to
"<?php echo ($found_link); ?>"><?php echo ($found_link); ?></a>.</p> <p>The main blog URL is <a href="http://www.shoutmeloud.com/">www.shoutmeloud.com/</a>.</p> </body> </html>
If you have followed each steps carefully, you have successfully migrated from blogspot to wordpress with 301 permanent redirection.
If you have any problem migrating from BlogSpot to WP, or other question feel free to ask questions. If you still feel uncomfortable to take care of all this thing, You can hire me for blogspot to wordpress service.
Subscribe to Download WordPress Guide Worth $99