Naming anything is one of the biggest tasks because once you name anything, that becomes the future of that person/thing. Whenever I have to start a new blog or a website, my first few days go in deciding the name of the blog.
Since, Shout is a brand name for me, I usually add a suffix along with Shout to create a blog name. But, usually for a newbie person, who is starting his first blog, deciding a name comes out to be very tough, as there are many confusions, such as:
- Should I use my name as my blog name?
- Should I use common words like Tech, Fashion, movies in my blog name?
- I’m not sure about the niche of my blog, and will this name look good in long run?
These are just a few of many confusions which we usually have while deciding on the name of the blog. Here I will outline some of the simplest ways which can help you to pick a name for your blog.
Do remember, by the end, every name is good; what really matters is what quality you put in there, and how you brand it.
How To Decide The Best Name For Your Blog
1. Pen and Paper or Google Docs:
Pick a pen and paper, and start writing the names which are coming in your mind. Don’t use your personal name as blog name, until it’s your personal journal blog.
Because, if you use your name as a name of your blog, it loses the chance of creating a niche authority blog, and it becomes more of a personal branding blog.
For example, the other day I along with a teammate was brainstorming a domain name for my new blog which is about WordPress niche, and here are few names that we put down on paper:
Now, after writing down these names, we started removing names one by one, and the process was quite easy, after we answered these questions:
- What is the goal of this blog?
- What kind of audience I’m targeting?
- Is the name justifying the kind of content I’m going to put there?
- Is this name Good for the long run?
- Is the name unique or my name is close to any existing brand?
It took another 10 minutes to start removing names, and by the end, we come down to the following domains:
Now, both the name actually suits the kind of blog we were thinking, as it was supposed to be about WordPress tips, news, and regular stuff. Similarly, this is the first thing you should do when deciding a blog name.
2. Don’t use trademark name:
A major mistake we unknowingly do is by picking up a Trademark name. For example, having a domain name with words like WordPress, Google, AdSense, Apple and so on. Using somebody’s trademark name can create legal issues, and if you wish to read more about it, you should check out this official wiki page on Trademark.
3. Check for Brand name availability on Social-media sites:
Another important thing to keep in mind when deciding for a blog name is; availability of name on Social-media sites. For example, if you have decided a blog name as ShoutWPHub, that name should also be available on at least Twitter and Facebook.
If not, you should go for an alternate name or start with step 1. You can use a username check website like Knowem to search for name availability on various Social networking sites.
4. Keyword Rich or Keyword less:
Another important aspect of selecting a blog name is; should we use Keywords or should we not use keywords. I’m not going in-depth on this here, as I have already explained this in detail over here and here.
Few more tips to keep in mind:
- Don’t try to choose a long blog name.
- Make sure the name of the blog is memorable and not hard to type.
- Ensure that the blog name is easy to pronounce, and should not be confusing.
- Prefer .com, .io domain name.
- Don’t use .net, .info or other not so famous TLD’s
Also check: 5 Domain name suggestion tools
If you have any additional questions or tips you would like to add, do let me know via comment. If you find this article useful, do consider sharing it on Facebook and Twitter.
Subscribe on YouTube