Blogging is an activity to share one’s knowledge over the internet.
Blogging can also be used for making money.
There are lots of techies who found blogging to be so interesting and lucrative that they decided to select blogging as their career.
Choosing blogging as a career has lots of advantages.
Unlike other business, you do not need a huge investment for starting your new blog, and you can start earning after only 2 or 3 months of hard work.
But there is something else you should keep in mind before starting your blog:
- You don’t need to pay rent for an office space.
You can set up an office inside your home and start making money online today.
The fact is many professional bloggers, like Harsh, who work from home have to make many changes in their day to day routine in order to keep the motivation for blogging strong.
- Could you work in your pajamas 365 days a year?
You need to have a system so that your body and mind don’t get spoiled.
This can all easily be achieved with the help of setting up a home office.
How will I set up an office at home?
There are a few checkpoints which you should take note of when setting up your home office:
1. Table and chair
You shouldn’t have to sacrifice good posture to do blogging.
Many bloggers find it fun to blog from bed.
But you should opt for a table and chair instead. It will definitely increase your productivity.
Use a chair with an adjustable height, tilt adjustment, and wheelbase so that you can feel comfortable and stable while working.
If you don’t want to spend a lot on a table/chair, you can easily find used furniture on Craigslist.
This is especially true if you are noticing back pain, or feel lazy throughout the day.
2. Use proper desktop or laptop
You can choose a desktop or laptop according to your needs.
If your work involves traveling, then you should choose a laptop, but if you are blogging from your home, then you should opt for a desktop computer.
I suggest the iMac which is a powerful and efficient machine. Most pro-bloggers use a Mac product.
Moreover, you can opt for dual-screen monitors, or you can arrange a laptop and desktop together.
- A dual-screen depends on your specific needs. If you really need an extra monitor, you can use your home TV as an extended screen, or you can buy an extra monitor for yourself and extend it using an HDMI or video monitor cable.
Remember, your computer is your productivity tool. So get the best computer you can.
3. Internet connection
For blogging, you need an internet connection with reliable speed and proper connectivity.
The biggest distraction of any blogger is a broken internet connection.
You should rely on a well-reputed ISP provider. Also, you get a speed of more than 10 MBPS for effective blogging.
Above all, you should get a backup internet connection in the form of a data card, a 4G package on mobile, and so on.
If you are into video blogging, make sure that you get a broadband connection which gives a decent upload rate. Most of the time, the broadband provider offers good download speeds, but the upload time sucks.
4. Effective environment
Try to make your office environment free from disturbance.
Avoid all the typically disrupting elements like:
Choose a room at the end of the house, or figure out how to make it sound proof. Try to keep all the distraction points away from your working room.
Try to make your environment cool with proper ventilation.
Power backups should be present to achieve nonstop work.
- Related Read: Easy Ways To Earn Money Online By Sitting At Home
5. Proper space
You should arrange everything in your room in such a way that every inch of space is utilized efficiently.
- Put your CPU under your table and keep all files labeled and in their proper places.
The idea here is to keep your work room as organized as you can which will give you a feel of the office, and allow you to enjoy your work.
Believe it or not, a clean room will always help in improving your productivity. Moreover, there will be no visual distractions.
Here are a few things which you should buy to make your home office look better:
- Double-sided Velcro tape: This is a must-buy for you to manage easy-to-tangle cables and cords in your home office. One piece of double-sided Velcro tape costs no more than $7.
- Gaming mouse: These are built for ergonomics. If you spend more than 7-8 hours on a computer every day, a gaming mouse will ensure your hands don’t experience pain. A good gaming mouse starts from $50 & it’s worth your money. I use the Razer gaming mouse on my iMac.
- Ergonomic chair: This one is essential as you will be spending most of the time sitting in front of a computer. Ergonomic chairs are built to support your back the right way. A good example of an ergonomic chair is your car seat. If you have the money, you should buy a Herman Miller chair which typically costs $1800+. Harsh shared his experience with one of these costly chairs over here. You can also search for other cheap options which will cost around $200.
- Color your wall: Most bloggers don’t pay much attention to the color of their room, but it’s important to help you feel good & stay focused.
These tips will be useful for anyone who works from home and is trying to set up a home office.
In general, try to keep things organized and make your office more professional by following the above 5 tips. This will bring discipline and increased productivity.
How have you set up your home office? Let me know in the comments below.
- 7 Benefits Of Working From Home
- How To Work From An Office In Your Home
- 13 Home Offices Of Bloggers For Inspiration
If you find the post useful and worth sharing, don’t forget to share it on Twitter, Facebook, and Google Plus!