With iOS 9, Apple is all set to launch Apple news that is similar to Flipboard. As a blogger & publisher, you can submit your blog to be a part of Apple news app. By submitting your blog to Apple news, you will be reaching out to millions of iOS users (iPhone, iPad & iPod). I have just finished submitting ShoutMeLoud to Apple news, and you can do that too.
In this tutorial, you will learn how you can submit your blog to iOS 9 news app. You can read the review of the upcoming app here, which will give you a fair idea of how your content will be displayed.
How to become a publisher at Apple news:
The process is easy & you can submit your blog in the next 5 minutes.
- Head over to Apple news publisher page here.
- You can login with your Apple ID & if you don’t have one, click on Signup at the bottom to create one right away.
- Once you are logged in, you need to accept the End User License Agreement for News.
- Next step is to setup the Publisher information, which is pretty straight-forward.
- Create new channel: This is where you will add the information related to your blog or news website. You can create different channels if you have more than one blog.
- You can click on Specify territories to make your content available on specific countries only. By default, all countries are selected. Use this feature if you don’t want your content ton be visible in certain territories. Click on Submit
- Submit RSS feed:
You can select either submit RSS feed or submit as an Apple news format. You can follow this guide to create an RSS feed for your blog. Apple news format adds tons of added advantage over RSS submission. This is what I selected & that’s what I recommend for you.
- Click on next, and last step is to add your brand logo. Here is the requirement for adding logo:
- Full-color transparent PNG
- Required height: 256px
- Recommended Width: up to 2048px (8:1)
- Maximum width: up to 2560px (10:1)
- Complete logo guideline here.
- This is not mandatory but I highly recommend you to complete this step for higher brand visibility.
- Once done, Apple news publisher team will review your submission in few days. You will also get an email after the successful submission.
- If you have multiple blogs, you can click at the top & click on create a new channel to add more blogs.
As a blogger, I’m pretty excited to see my blog reaching out to a wider audience with the help of Apple news app. I will share the stats & more details once iOS 9 will be launched & ShoutMeLoud starts getting traffic from Apple News app.
Update: It took about 12 hours for the review & ShoutMeLoud is now live in Apple news app here (link will work in iOS 9)
Important information about Apple news publisher:
Here is one important announcement from Apple which I saw after submitting my first blog:
- You can monetize your content on Apple news using iAd. The revenue distribution is 70% to you & 30% to Apple.
- Here is the WordPress plugin that you can use once Apple publisher team approves your application.
- You can also keep 100% revenue by selling your ads directly. I don’t have enough detail as of now on this part.
- A company, a publisher, a Blogger can submit their digital property in Apple news.
- Every channel has section that you can use to organize your content. You can have a separate section for your categories. If you use this feature, you need to have a minimum of two sections.
- Currently, they are accepting submission from English language only.
- Your RSS feed needs to be full & not partial. Read more about RSS best practices here.
- You can read more details about Apple news publisher & FAQ here.
For now, you should leave everything & submit your English blog to Apple news. It would hardly take 5 minutes, and I’m assuming that Apple news will be a game changer for many publishers in the coming days.
- How to add WordPress Follow button to promote your blog on WordPress.com platform
- How to submit your blog in Google Search Console
- 51+ marketing tools for your blog
Do let me know how was your experience with the sign-up process? If you have any query that I can answer, feel free to ask in the comment section below. If you think this blog promotion & distribution channel may help one of your blogger friend, do share this guide with them.
Subscribe on YouTube