How are you keeping your Amazon account secure from hackers? Until now, Amazon offers basic username & password to authenticate our logins & indeed it’s not enough in today’s era when losing an account can cost you more than just money.
Recently, Amazon enabled 2 step verification for all of it’s users & you can enable it right now. The 2 step verification will add an extra layer of security for your Amazon account & a step that I recommend for all of you to enable.
If you want to learn more about 2 step verification, you should read below-mentioned guide:
Since you have understood how 2 step verification will make your account secure, now it’s time to harden the security of your Amazon account. Follow the steps mentioned below & within minutes your Amazon account will be 2 step verification enabled.
How to enable 2 step verification for Amazon account:
- Login to your Amazon account
- Click on your account & click on change account settings.
- On the next page, Click Edit in front of Advanced Security Settings section.
- This will take you to the page where you can start the process of enabling 2 step verification.
Before you enable this, here are few things you need to know.
- You can enable 2 step verification using either SMS or an authenticator app.
- When you login to your amazon account next time, you will need to enter the SMS code or code generated by the authenticator app. (Don’t worry it’s simple & you will get used to it).
- If you log in from your regular computer, laptop; you don’t need to complete the 2 step verification every time. This is what makes this secure, as even if a hacker gets hold of your password, he won’t be able to log in without the code that can be accessed by you.
- You also need to enter a backup phone number that can be used for retrieval of your Amazon password. You can use your spouse, parents or siblings mobile number for this purpose. See below image to understand the process.
- Since you have understood the basics of Amazon 2 step verification, let’s move ahead & make our Amazon account secure.
- Click on Get started & here you can decide if you want to use an authenticator app for generating codes or want to receive login code by SMS. You can use either of them & if you are in a Zone where it takes time for SMS delivery (Yah, there are many such areas & mobile networks such as BSNL), you should select authenticator app. This is also useful for people who travel a lot, especially Digital Nomad should use authenticator app. You can download Google Authenticator app for Android & iOS from here & here respectively. If you have a bad reputation of losing your phone, you are better off with using SMS verification. So select this step carefully. For me, I used Authenticator app.
- Once you are done with this first step, next one is to add the backup phone.
- Click on verify code & continue. That’s it & you have successfully enabled 2 step verification for your Amazon account.
- You can always change any of the settings that you have done just now.
With this, you have made your Amazon account secure from hackers & you can rest in peace. 2 step verification is offered by almost all the popular online companies to make your account secure. Particularly for netizens who earn their bread & butter online, they should enable this for services like Google (Gmail), Godaddy & other primary services that can jeopardize their online career.
Do let me know how was your experience of enabling 2 step verification for your account? If you have found this information useful, do share it with your friends on Facebook & Twitter.
Related video: Creating Affiliate links for Amazon Products