Domain business is getting hotter and every day thousands of people are getting online. Anyone who is getting his business online, they need a domain and hosting to get started and I’m sure you know how important it is for you to be an early adopter to stay ahead in the game. Google domains and Amazon domain service is the most recent addition in the big player of Domain services. Google announced their domain services a little back and they are already sending out invitation code to start using their services and with a limitation. If you are in U.S. you can start using Google domains now with their invitation code (You can apply for an invitation code here), but if you are not a U.S. citizen seems like you are out of luck. Not to worry as today I will be sharing a nice work-around (you can call it my self-created hack) to buy domains from Google domains if you are outside U.S.
I live in India and I used this exact steps to book a domain from Google domains & you can follow these simple steps to book yours. Booking a domain is not a big deal but if you are like me who enjoy doing challenging tasks, I’m sure you would enjoy applying this hack. Before I move ahead, I also want you to read below mentioned guide, using it you can start your own domain and Web hosting business in next one hour.
Just few days before Google started to send invites to people who requested to get an invite from Google to test this service.Google charges $12/year for .com domain with free privacy protection,url forwarding and 100 mail alias with this service.But this current beta invite is only available to it’s US customers.Google sends an invitation code to your email and the code is valid only for the email address for which it has been sent.So you cannot use other’s code for your google account to test the service.
As the current beta is only for US, people outside U.S cannot test this service.Also after logging into your Google Domain account and entering the invitation code,it shows a message on the top stating that ‘We are sorry,This service might not be available for your current location‘ etc. Hence,it is clear that people residing outside U.S will not be able to register or transfer the domains they want too in the current beta.
How to purchase a domain through Google Domains for people residing outside U.S?
Here is small workaround which will help you register and buy domains through Google Domains:-
- Just ignore the message and go ahead to buy a new or transfer a domain.
- After selecting the desired domain,it will ask you to enter your credit card credentials using Google wallet.
- Enter your Credit Card details and then click to save and Buy.It will give you a technical error as you are not From U.S and hence you will not be able to proceed further.
- Cancel the pop-up window which asks you to enter the Billing Information and again start the procedure for billing.Now this time as it has already saved your credit card information,it will be shown in the pop-up window.Just below the Google Wallet in the same window You will find an option to edit Billing.Click edit and then it will ask your name and postal code of U.S.
- Enter your Name and any valid U.S postal code.and click save and buy.
- You will be asked to confirm the order and proceed to buy.Once done,your domain will registered and you will get an order confirmation from Google Wallet to your Gmail address.
Important points to Note:-
- Do not use a virtual credit/debit card as Google wallet only recognizes physical credit card.
- Enter your original Indian Postal Address (as we tested from India). If you Enter U.S address, Google’s system will detect the transaction as fraud as entering a U.S address and using Indian credit card from an Indian I.P,it will be considered as fraud.Hence,your order will not get completed.
- As far as possible use ICICI or HDFC bank International Credit card.As other credit cards failed to get the transaction completed.Although,you may try your luck and see if your card can get a success.
- See that you use an International Credit Card which enables you to do transactions in USD.Using Credit Cards which can only be used for INR transactions will fail to make a purchase.
- Do not click on Auto-Renewal optional as it asks your U.S Billing address for security and Verification purpose.Don’t get afraid you will be able to renew your domain at time of renewal without any issue or problem.
- To auto renew your domain, go to google wallet and enter any valid U.S address by editing the credit card information and then make the auto-renew check box checked. You may use any free address providers service to generate virtual U.S address.
You can either use this clean hack to book your domains from Google domains now or you can wait when Google launches its domain service for people outside U.S. Honestly this kind of marketing is so old school now and Google seems to be doing it for long. I believe Google should rather start understanding that when they launch their service, they should not limit anyone based on geographical location. This is what I think, how about you?
Update: Using false U.S address for personal and registrant details is a serious violations of ICANN and leads to cancellation of the domain. Make sure your domain registrant address is up-to date and real.
Note: This above trick will ensure you can book your domains from Google domains without any hassle. If you use fake registration details for your domain, your domain can be deleted. So make sure you never use fake address for your domains.
Did you enjoyed this little hack to book domains from Google domains? Don’t forget to share this with others before Google decide to fix this work-around. If you have any more tips for using Google domains, let me know via comments.
This is a guest submission by Vineet from Suratran. You can submit an original idea here at ShoutMeLoud, read our submission guidelines.