WordPress is no doubt one of the best CMS out there and plugins make life really easy for bloggers like you and me. Now, there is always one plugin for anything we want to do on WordPress, and this leads to most common question: How many WordPress plugins should we use?
It took me over years to understand, less plugin we use, it’s better for our website performance and load time. Also, I’m strictly against using a plugin, which makes us dependent in future.
In the post 8 reasons why wordpress blog is better then Free blogspot blogs that plugin is one of the major advantage in WordPress. Though using lots of plugin will slow down your blog performance. Reason being more number of queries from plugins.
Let me explain these in detail:
Using a WordPress plugin is like adding a code to our blog with the help of plugin. You can do the same without plugin, by adding codes manually in your core theme/WordPress files. So, to cut the myth WordPress plugins not necessarily slow down your blog, but it increases the number of codes on your blog, and thus your blog takes more time to load or to complete an action (Ex: loading a page).
Even if you are using 30+ WordPress plugins, and they are well coded, it will not slow down your blog or degrade your blog performance. There are certain plugins like smsuh.it, Similar posts plugin, Google XML sitemap, and few more which takes longer time to perform an action, and thus these plugins are not really recommended.
So the question here is which WordPress plugins we should use?
First thing first, Using any WordPress plugin is your personal choice. We install new WordPress plugins to get more features for the blog.
Do we really need all these Features?
Yes we do, but using the plugin is not the best solution. Using Manual code to replace WordPress plugin is a better way. For example; Instead of using yet another related post plugin we can use codes to show related post.
There are few must have WordPress plugin which is important for SEO or for blog optimization. Some of them are
- WordPress SEO by Yoast: Best free SEO plugin for WordPress, and loaded with lots of features to make your blog optimize for search engines, and Social media sites.
- Google XML sitemap WordPress plugin: Generate Sitemap and submit it to Google webmaster and forget about indexing problem. An alternative to this plugin is better WordPress Google sitemap.
- Akismet: Helps you to fight against Comment and trackback spam.
- Wp Db manager: A all in one plugin, which will help you to optimize, repair and take the backup of your database. It also let you schedule your database for timely backup.
- : This plugin helps you to add alt tag into your blog images and this your blog images get indexed into Search engines.
- W3 Total cache: A must have plugin if you are expecting a traffic spike on your blog.
Now talking about non-essential WordPress plugin which you need depending on your blog posts and preference. I will list down the plugin which you might like to use depending on your usage. Though my suggestion would be narrow them down with custom codes as much as possible.
WordPress Adsense plugins:
Affiliate links WordPress plugin:
Feeds: Feed subscription and Feed readers
- RSS footer WordPress plugin (This plugin is now integrated with WordPress SEO by Yoast)
Optimizing for mobile users
There are many others which you can browse from Shoutmeloud WordPress plugins archive.
Apart from Essential WordPress plugin, which I have mentioned above. All other plugins are based on your preference. So try to keep it as low as possible for better optimization of your WordPress blog.