WordPress is no doubt one of the best CMS out there and plugins make life really easy for bloggers like you and me. Now, there is always one plugin for anything we want to do on WordPress, and this leads to most common question: How many WordPress plugins we should use.
It took me over years to understand, less plugin we use, it’s better for our hosting server performance. Also, I’m strictly against the policy of using a plugin, which makes us dependent in future.
In the post 8 reasons why wordpress blog is better then Free blogspot blogs that plugin is one of the major advantage in WordPress. Though using lots of plugin will slow down your blog performance. Reason being more number of queries from plugins.
Using lots of wordpress plugin might slow down your blog and if you are on shared hosting, chances of showing 500 Error is quite high. If I go with what Dreamhost says , They believe that Yet another related post plugin and all in one SEO wordpress plugin slow down your blog. Though I’m uncertain about ALL in one SEO but Yoast also mentioned that Yet another related post plugin is slowing down the blog post.
It turns out, that of the 16 queries my site now still does for a single post page, 7 are for the related posts plugin I’m using, YARPP, and if you’re wondering: yes that’s making me reconsider the plugin.
So the question here is which WordPress plugins we should use?
First thing first, Using any wordpress plugin is your personal choice. We install new wordpress plugins to get more features for the blog.
Do we really need all these Features?
Yes we do, but using plugin is not the best solution. Using Manual code to replace wordpress plugin is better way. For example : Instead of using yet another related post plugin we can use codes to show related post.
There are few must have wordpress plugin which is important for SEO or for blog optimization. Some of them are
- All on one SEO plugin : Fine tuning your blog SEO. You can refer to my detailed guide on ALL in one SEO wordpress plugin.
- Google XML sitemap wordpress plugin : Generate Sitemap and submit it to Google webmaster and forget about indexing problem.
- Akismet : Helps you to fight against Comment and trackback spam.
- Wp Db manager: A all in one plugin, which will help you to optimize, repair and take backup of your database. It also let you schedule your database for timely backup.
- : This plugin helps you to add alt tag into your blog images and this your blog images get indexed into Search engines.
- WP Super cache : A must have plugin if you are expecting a traffic spike on your blog.
Now talking about non essential wordpress plugin which you need depending on your blog posts and preference. I will list down the plugin which you might like to use depending on your usage. Though my suggestion would be narrow them down with custom codes as much as possible.
WordPress Adsense plugins :
Affiliate links wordpress plugin :
Feeds : Feed subscription and Feed readers
- RSS footer wordpress plugin
- Feed subscription reminder wordpress plugin
Optimizing for mobile users
Twitter related wordpress plugin
- Tweetmeme wordpress plugin
- Twitter live blog WordPress plugin
There are many others which you can browse from Shoutmeloud wordpress plugins archive.
Apart from Essential wordpress plugin, which I have mentioned above. All other plugins are based on your preference. So try to keep it as low as possible for better optimization of your wordpress blog.
Subscribe Updates, Its FREE!