No business can survive today without a website. Try to promote a business solely through word-of-mouth and you’ll soon find out why. Internet is increasingly becoming our first port of call for information on anything so, without a website, your business will be virtually invisible and will rapidly fall behind competitors.
When you first begin investigating how to establish an online presence for your business, you will come across an enormous amount of information about web design, web development, online marketing and search engine optimization which is not likely to make any sense to you. After all, you are only after a basic website and can learn about the rest of the business later. The only decision you really need to make at this stage is whether to build your site using a template website design or consult an expert for a personally customised web design that has been prepared with just your business needs in mind.
Custom vs. Template web design
- What exactly do the terms ‘custom web design’ and ‘template web design’ refer to? A template designed website is formed from a collection of linked pages that are prebuilt. The pages may have a limited capacity for selection of alternate colours and font; however lay-out is generally fixed. The short answer for ‘what is a customised web design?’ is: absolutely anything you want and need it to be to promote your company in an exciting and unique way. While at first a template website design may seem like the fastest and most economic option for getting your business noticed on the world wide web, it is likely to have the opposite effect and hold back the future development of your website.
- Template web designs have very limited functionality and little or no scope for change or personalization. Another drawback of template websites is that many other businesses that have not opted for a customised web design will be using an identical template. If you are interested in maximising the individual online presence of your company, the last thing you want to find out is that your competitors have exactly the same colour scheme and page design as that used on your website.
- Although template web design can be cheaper than customised design, it also ends up having a cut-rate appearance which will instantly affect the impression that you give your potential customers. Your clients want to know that they will receive a top quality service and are unlikely to approach your company if even the design of your website appears generic and of a low quality.
- Unlike template websites, fully customised website designs offer a literally endless amount of design features and options for future development because they are constructed in close and ongoing consultation with your company. Perhaps you decide to add an online store to your company website? Or establish a customer loyalty program that provides each client a personalised login page? With a custom web design your website can grow and change as your business does, and thus better serve the needs of your customers.
- A customised website design will represent your company in a striking and individual way and can be modified to include the latest technologies and functionalities such as the creative use of images in flashing banners, shopping cart functionality, videos, newsletters, member login areas, blogs and customised Content Management Systems.
Do let us know what do you prefer more? A Custom web design or pre-built web design?
This is a guest post by John who works for Design a Website. If you would like to write for ShoutMeLoud, check our guest posting guidelines.
Get Free Blogging updates in your Email