This is a guest post written by Anil Gupta owner of Shoutmeloud revenue sharing program.blog. If you like to write for Shoutmeloud, do read
Do you know there are some people who are copying content from your blog without your permission and publish that content on their websites and blogs for few bucks? Do you have any solution to this problem? In this post I’m going to discuss several aspects related to blog content copying.
SEO impact ?
Will your blog have any impact if someone copies your content?
Yes definitely, you are being put into the risk of losing your search engine rankings and page rank when people copy your blog content. In many cases, copied content from your blog will first get indexed into Google and in those cases your content becomes duplicate. So Google may lower your blog rankings or may even not include your content into its index. So you are not getting the credit for all the hard work you put in writing those valuable contents that are stolen by content thieves.
How to find if someone is copying your blog content?
To find out if someone is copying content from your blog posts, copy one sentence or few words from any of your post and search it on Google with double quotes in place around that. Repeat this process 3-4 times for each of your latest 8-10 posts. And in case you see more than one results about from your own website, go through those results and see how they have copied your content, is it some part or copied all of your blog posts and also don’t forget to check whether they have given any credit to you for that content or not. When you run this process regularly, you may find some websites that have copied content from your blog quite often especially if you have a popular blog.
How to stop people from copying your blog content?
Now it’s all about finding and implementing ways to save your blog from content thieves. Here is something that can be done:
- CopyScape Banner: Place a CopyScape Banner on your blog to give a warning message to people who want to steal your content.
- Contact Details: And in case you saw a website copying your blog content, you have to look for ways to contact the website owner. Please check the website home page and other important pages like About US, Contact Us, Author Page, Contact form etc from where you can actually interact with the person behind that website. And in case, you don’t get any contact information on that website pages, you can try using Whois and Alexa records to get contact details about that website. Once you have the contact details about that website, here are some steps that you can take to stop people from copying your blog content:
5 Steps to take down those Content Copy bloggers:
- Send Polite e-mail: First step that you can take is sending a polite email to the website owner informing that he had copied content from my website. Copying content is illegal and asks him to remove your copyrighted work. Wait for a response from website owner for the next 5-6 business days.
- Cease and Desist Notice: If nothing happens with your polite email, you can think of sending Cease and Desist (Also known as C&D) notice to the website owner. Here is a cease and desist sample that you can edit as per your requirement.
- DMCA Letter to webhost: Another thing that you can do is send a DMCA letter to the webhost of that website. As per law, webhosts are supposed to take strict actions against websites that copies copyrighted work from other websites.
- DMCA letter to Google Adsense: If the website that had copied content from your website is using Google Adsense can send a DMCA letter to Google Adsense. This is one of strong actions that you can take where the website owner can actually get banned from Google Adsense. In that case, all of his revenue coming through Google Adsense will be gone.
- DMCA letter to others: Apart from Google Adsense, you can send DMCA letters to other services from where this website is generating business
- Legal actions: If nothing works, you can think of filing a lawsuit.
I’m sure these tips will be very useful for many people who are facing issue from copy content thieves. What action will you take to prevent those copy content spammer?
Subscribe Updates, Its FREE!