Don’t get me wrong, there is a huge difference between websites/blogs and web startups. The point came to my mind, when I tried to build my career in building a startup, eespecially a web startup and ended up being a blogger, internet/affiliate marketer, and small-scale website developer.
I was following many startup blogs since 2005, when I was working at HSBC as System Administrator and ultimately inspired me to do an online business, and I am happy that I earn on average of Rs 1.5 lakhs INR per month (10 folds higher than the salary in a company). It’s not only my story, but the stories of massive wanna-be entrepreneurs in India. Luckily, few of them will reach at least the level, where I stand now.
Now let me differentiate the web startups from bloggers/internet marketers. Web Startups might consist of CEO, CTO, COO, Management, Sales, Marketing, Technical and Administration employees in their organizations. And the Internet marketer/Blogger is more like a one-man-army organization (Solopreneurs), where he himself does or outsources marketing, technical, sales and advertising jobs.
Both have the pros and cons but to earn real cash from the beginning, many choose to become a one man army and not trying to build an empire of web startup and a company.
The pros of websites over web startups:
- You can start as a webmaster and you can become an entrepreneur by scaling up your websites.
- You don’t have to obey the rules and regulations of a company and don’t worry about the tax, provident funds, legal formalities, registration and employee salary, when you start your business.
- No need of initial funding as you can bootstrap your product and the costs will limit to good web hosting, web designing and content generation.
- If everything doesn’t works as you expected, then dump it and move on with your new website or choose a new niche to work with.
- You will find tons of articles related to blogging, affiliate marketing and make money online in the web, through which you can implement the right strategies and move in the right path.
- No need to set up an offline office, factory, and wait for the break-even point of your company’s profit.
- You can also sell/flip your blogs/websites for huge amount via website flipping sites and forums, thus you can have a lump sum to start a new project.
- If you succeed to get the decent amount of reader-base/user-base, advertisers come for you; you don’t need to market yourselves!
- You are not alone; you will have many blogger and affiliate marketer friends in Internet (Facebook/Twitter), who will help you in any time!
- You will find many free tools (most of them are open source) to craft your ideas, the only thing to watch is how will you use it?
The pros of web startups over websites:
- You will not be distracted by many niches as you and your startup is focusing on a single topic and a single core niche, which is actually a good to keep focus and working on it to become successful.
- You will not have to give up your websites for legal disputes such as trademarks, name registrations, which you will consider when you begin your journey.
- You will have a name and fame and it spreads faster than that of a website owner.
- You can build an empire which can last longer or can be sold after 2-3 years.
- Portals and blogs are not comparable to Web startups. Hence, you will have more reputation than the actual profit!
Moreover, the cons of being an entrepreneur in web startup are much more than that of a blogger and internet marketer eespecially in India. May be the Indian Ecosystems pushing down the entrepreneurs and startups and this article will let you know more about the funding ecosystem for startups in India.
Currently 25% of global websites and blogs are from India (I am not talking about scrap ones). Many blogs with large readership are owned and edited by Indian bloggers. You can check list of Indian bloggers here. Only few of them write for their passion and most of them write for money, real money!
You can also learn how to start an online business by starting from US Small Business Administration website and if you are residing in India and you want to start an online business and become a part of the web startup then I suggest you to go through YourStory. And if you really don’t want to mess-up with funding, staffs, trademarks, taxes, office and you still want to earn online, then you should try searching “make money online blogs” in Google and voila! You will find tons of blogs, which will show you the path. But my suggestion is “Be careful when choosing the way, do not leave your current job until you learn every aspect of doing online business, you will regret it”.
Do let me know, as an entrepreneur, would you prefer being a Blogger or having your own web startup?
Check your domain ranking