Social bookmarking and sharing buttons are very useful for every blogger like you to get extra traffic on your blog post. This helps your readers to quickly share and bookmark the article. In past couple of years, there has been a lot of change in social media landscape, and now Social signals are an important part of search engine ranking. If this sounds something new to you, here are guides which you should read right away:
I have already emphasised on putting up Social sharing buttons either in floating manner or at the end of every blog posts. For WordPress, we have plugins like Digg-digg or Jetpack which quickly add these buttons. One mistake which I have seen many of you make is, by adding a big list of social bookmarking icons and this article points out things which you should and shouldn’t be doing with these buttons.
Last night I was reviewing my client blog and one thing in particular caught my eyes and that is number of social bookmarking icons he was using:
As you can see he has put almost all popular social bookmarking icons which are good but also bad in a way.
When I started blogging, I also started putting every possible social bookmarking icon hoping someone to share my post on any of these social bookmarking sites, but this approach was wrong in many ways. First of all, not all social bookmarking buttons ate useful for your blog. More over, limited the number of social sharing buttons will help you to get more number of share in particular Social media site.
There are few social-bookmarking buttons which are indeed very useful for every niche blog. Here are list of such Social sharing buttons:
- Google +1 : Helps in SEO and traffic.
- FB like or share button: Helps in driving traffic from Facebook.
- Twitter button: Helpful in driving traffic from Twitter and also get new Twitter followers.
- Pocket button: This button is suggested for blogs with long posts. People can save it to read it later, and I have seen good traffic impact of this on ShoutMeLoud.
- Buffer button: Useful for blogs which target bloggers, Social-media people.
Along with above, here are few more which you should know and pick according to your blog type:
- Pinterest button: If you are using catchy images, this will help you to drive traffic from Pinterest.
- Reddit: If Reddit is part of your social-marketing strategy or you get good number of traffic from Reddit, this button will be useful.
- Mail button: This is again useful for blogs which write long and detailed guide. Similarly you can consider adding send to Kindle or Print button.
More over keeping lots of social bookmarking icons might confuse your readers and they will skip it. Try to recall when was the last time you shared an article and why you did it? (Apart from being a good content). More over putting social bookmarking icons with counter increase the chances of sharing. As people love to see counter growing and feel safe to share articles which already got good number of share. Also prefer to keep social bookmarking icons at the prominent position like at the top or below article so that when reader is done reading your blog, he might like to share your article. In my case I have put social bookmarking icons at the top and put Email subscription box at the bottom.
- Must read: Must have subscription options for every blog
- 5 useful social media bookmarking WordPress Plugin
Do let me know how many Social bookmarking buttons are you using on your blog? Don;’t forget to share this article with your friends on Facebook and Google plus.
Subscribe to Download WordPress Guide Worth $99