Long time back, Google announced about Google plus commenting system, and now it’s finally available for BlogSpot blogs. Compare to default blogger commenting system, Google plus commenting system gives you more power to go social, and will help you to build a better community around your BlogSpot blog. If you have a blogger enabled blog, you should consider enabling Google plus comment system on your blog. This guide will help you to get started.
There are two steps which you need to do:
- If you have not integrated your blog with Google plus before, you need to integrate it.
- Enable Google plus comments
I highly recommend you to migrate your existing commenting system on BlogSpot to Google plus. Before you do so, do read following points:
- If you change your blog URL, your existing Google + comments will disappear. So, if you are planning to get a custom domain name for your BlogSpot blog, you should get it, before migrating to Google plus commenting system.
- If you are using 3rd party commenting system like DISQUS, you will lose all the comments. If you are using Blogger default commenting system, you will be able to retain all your comments.
- If your readers don’t have a Google plus profile, he will not be able to comment. Though, he will be prompted to create one. One big cons of Google+ commenting system.
- If your blog have adult nature content (mature content), you will not be able to use Google+ commenting system. (grayed comment box)
- If you are using custom BlogSpot template, you can get code from this page to add Google plus comment box.
I will explain the complete procedure, and features of Google+ comments for BlogSpot blogs below.
How to connect BlogSpot blog to Google plus:
Login to your BlogSpot dashboard, and click on blog for which you want to connect to Google plus account. This will also help you to get Google authorship for your BlogSpot blog, or you could directly publish about new posts to your Google plus profile, or to your Google plus page. You can find more information on official help page here.
Once you are inside your BlogSpot dashboard, click on Google plus on left sidebar. On the page, click on get started:
Before you make the switch, do remember your profile information from Blogger will not be migrated to your Google plus profile. So, before making the switch, copy the profile information from your Blogger profile to Google plus.
Now, click on Switch now, and your blogSpot blog is linked to your Google plus profile. On the next page, you can select the box to add the blog in your profile, which you should do, if you wish to take advantage of Google authorship (Profile picture in Google search).
Enabling Google plus Comment system on BlogSpot blog + Features:
First lets look at features & benefits of enabling Google+ comments on your Blog:
- More Social media interaction: One direct benefit is, more social media interaction and social media signals. Since, social media signals is one of the major ranking (SEO) factor, it will help you to improve your overall blog traffic.
- No login: Usually most of the users are using Google services, and if your readers are already logged into their Google account, they don’t need to add any details like Website address, Name-email to comment on. This will also help BlogSpot bloggers to get more comments on their blog post.
- More comments: When people will comment on linked post on Google plus, those comments will automatically be displayed on original blog post, and vice-versa. This will also encourage blogspot bloggers to be extra active on Google+. Smart move Google!.
Now, if you have associated your BlogSpot blogs with your Google plus profile, you can quickly enable Google plus comment system on your blog. Go back to Google plus link under your blog dashboard, and select the option which says “Use Google+ comments on this blog”.
Here is your updated comment box will look like:
Over all, Google plus commenting system has more pros than the cons. The tough decision is for old bloggers who are blogging on BlogSpot platform for long, and using 3rd party commenting system. From future perspective, Google plus commenting system is good and have many advantages for your blog, but if you are considering to switch to WordPress in near future, you might not want to use Google plus commenting system.
If you find this article useful, do consider sharing it on Google plus, and you can connect with me on Google plus here.
Get Free Blogging updates in your Email