Website downtime is always painful for Web admins and specially for us as a Blogger, we lose revenue everytime our site goes down. Needless to mention, it’s also bad for search engine optimization. There are many possible reasons for site downtime and one of the most prominent is using underpowered Web servers.
Yesterday only I lost a deal worth half of my entire business because the new “to be” client couldn’t see the final demo, he was expecting on my website and this was just because at that time my site was down and damn! I didn’t even know about it. Do you own a website? Does this sound familiar, at least near to a situation where you had a real hard time due to some stupid and sometimes not so stupid downtime of your website? If “yes” read further and if “no” still read further as you may not be lucky next time. Point is – in today’s internet economy where websites are directly linked to revenues; seriously you can’t afford to ignore the website’s downtime.
At the same time you can’t simply sit in front of your machine and monitor your website throughout the day to prevent the translation of downtime to potential revenue loss. Now, we have talked enough about the problem, let’s talk about the solutions. Yes! There are solutions which you can use to monitor your website uptime and get notification when your site goes down. And if you don’t want to invest in such a service as far as some dollars are concerned, there is a good news; there are many free web services to monitor website uptime which you can use immediately after reading this sentence. So what are you waiting for, here are three free services at your disposal.
Web service to monitor WebSite server Uptime:
With simple yet professional way of working, UpTime Robot which came into existence in January 2012 has created an impact in the website monitoring market. One of the best feature of Uptime robot is, you can also set up Webserver monitoring for password protected site. Here are some features listed to make you understand it better.
- It is absolutely FREE (no premium services are yet declared).
- UpTime Robot is easy and efficient to use.
- It has watery, simple yet professional design.
- All the basic information is listed on the homepage and without any fancy decors; website is clean and easy to navigate.
- It can monitor 50 websites at a time.
- It checks the downtime every 5 minutes and hence within 5 minutes or less, users will be notified in case of any downtime. It uses several check methods like, it asks for website headers and status codes (200 (OK), 404 (Not Found) etc.) and logs the data into files for further analysis.
- Once the site is up it again logs the information including duration of downtime.
- It monitors: HTTP (port 80), Keyword checking (if certain keywords reside in the documents of your website), Ping (the service will ping your web address and if your web address fails to respond you will be notified) and TCP ports (for example 3306 to determine if MySQL is down).
- Users are notified by instant SMS, RSS, Twitter and email alerts or push notifications for iPad and iPhone, when a site goes offline.
- The registration process is very simple. It asks users to provide name, email and password. Then after verification through Email you are ready to go.
- Twitter message notification option has also been added.
- Uptime Robot has been specialized for website monitoring and hence it is more efficient and dedicated for website uptime than other general website monitoring services.
- Potential area of improvement – It covers only three geographic locations (within US) from where it checks the uptime of the monitors.
For more details click here.
Back in 2006 Monitor.us was developed as world’s first all-in-one suite of IT monitoring tools, based in the Cloud. And till date it is one of the best website monitoring (here website uptime monitoring) tool. It is an amazing service if I talk about technology, innovation, and usability. Let me jolt down some of its salient features for you to realize the truth in what I have just mentioned.
- Of course it is absolutely FREE and still provides best quality for users. It is supported by adverts.
- Online help for navigation and basic usability of the site is provided, which helps you fantastically if you are visiting the site for the first time. Once you are familiar with the design, it becomes a wonderful site to use and that too for free.
- For registration, simply fill up the signup form by clicking signup link on the right top of the site, you will be automatically taken to a small section explaining the setup and usability of the account.
- It can monitor travel websites, e-commerce sites, forums, blogs, personal sites, press releases and portals hence suitable for individuals or small and large businesses.
- It provides end to end monitoring service where users will also able to monitor how the server is behaving under high load and how that is reflected in your uptime stats.
- It supports several external monitors: HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, SMTP, POP3, IMAP, DNS, SSH, PING, MySQL, TCP, UDP, SIP and 404 Not found errors and internal monitors like CPU, RAM, HDD, processes, Server load etc.
- Whenever there is downtime, alerts are provided via E-mail, IM, SMS, Twitter, live voice.
- Monitor.us is cloud based and it is more apt to say that Monitor.us is the world’s only all-in-one Cloud-based-Application-Performance-Monitoring-as-a-Service based in the Cloud.
- It can be used by developers to create add-ons and use with this service.
- Alexa Rank (How much traffic a web site receives relative to other web sites) – 77,723.
For details visit here.
MonitorOnly developed by WebContentSecurity is another web service which will help you to protect your online business. Above two mentioned services are Web based and offer various ways to notify you when your Website goes down. Monitor only offers mobile apps for iOS and Android to monitor Website uptime. Let us gather some of its features before taking a call which one you need to use.
- It is 100% FREE service.
- Offers 24/7 URL monitoring.
- You don’t have to install any server to use this service.
- Alerts about downtime are provided via email, push messages for smartphones. Alerts can be snoozed for the maintenance period.
- Registration is simple and easy.
- Also checks the response time of your website so detect the slow ones.
- Users can see the graphs explaining to availability of their websites.
- For historical results detailed reports are also available.
- Works for iPhone & Android.
For more, click here.
Well! You must be thinking why I haven’t included several other popular services like PingDom, Site24X7, Code Guard, downforeveryoneorjustme (which is also good if you are simply looking to know if a website is up or down) etc. then I would say, these are only my suggestions and I was thinking about only two things “Free” and “website uptime”.
You may sign up for all or just sign up for 1-2 Web services mentioned above to monitor Website uptime. If you are using WordPress, you can also use Managewp which offer functionalty to get notification for Website downtime, which is very useful too.
Do let me know which Web services do you use? If you enjoyed this post, do share it on Facebook and Google plus.
Hand picked Articles for you:
$49 worth WordPress Guide