The upgrade from Thesis 1.7 towas one of those times for people that enjoy Thesis’ rotator function!
Back, prior to Thesis 1.6 the /rotator folder lived outside of the custom folder even though it was designed for customization. Once most people made the move to Thesis 1.6 and beyond they pretty much forgot about this folder until this new hiccup cropped up.
People that were running 1.7 or prior are occasionally finding that upon upgrading or migrating to Thesis 1.8 that their image rotator stops displaying images but remains displaying the image caption/titles of the custom rotator images.
Empty boxes with a few words was just not the desired effect!
Upon investigating a client site reporting this issue I found images in the folder named like this:
- a nice little house.jpg
- couple o’ greenbacks.jpg
- Power of the Molecular structure.jpg
Now, for those unfamiliar with proper paths and url structures those may seem fine, but due to the spaces other characters (such as the apostrophe) they would not be considered a “nice” path structure.
While certainly less descriptive, changing these to short names was the solution for the jpgs!
Apparently Thesis 1.7 was having no trouble escaping the spaces but for some odd reason changes in Thesis 1.8 had made these files not work correctly.
I was still unable to quickly get the .png to quickly come up. Now it may have in fact been there and just not cycling rapidly in the rotation when I checked, but I converted it to a .jpg using Paint.Net (could have used photoshop) and then it worked just fine.
OS2Red.png -> OS2Red.jpg
So, with those simple changes, we were able to get the Thesis 1.8 rotator to once again begin properly displaying custom images instead of empty boxes!
A search of google for “thesis 1.8 rotator images” showed that this was a problem for quite a few people so I thought a tutorial was in order. Hopefully this helps you or your clients if you run into this hiccup!
Have fun with Thesis!
Get Free Blogging updates in your Email