Orkut and Facebook are no doubt the biggest social networking sites. Both of them are trying to become the best, but now many people can’t decide between Facebook or Orkut and which social networking site to opt for. So, I am sharing few information and features about both social networking sites.
Facebook or Orkut: Feature comparison
Facebook was launched in 2004 by Mark Zuckerberg. As of now, Facebook is the biggest social networking website of the world with more than 800 million active users. There are many features because of which you should use FB. Initially Orkut was quite popular in India, but later on Facebook in India went viral and people started migrating to Facebook. Later on Facebook India office was inaugurated in Hyderabad and now in Dec 2011, Facebook is the largest social networking site.
Let me tell you some of the features because of which I love about Facebook are:
- Wall – If you are an orkut user, you can take Wall as the scraps for Facebook where people can posts messages etc. The wall can be seen by your friends and they can see the messages posted there.
- Poke – The poke feature is just for passing time. Getting bored and then you open somebody’s profile. Nothing interesting in it. You want to post something but don’t know what to…simply poke him/her.
- Chat – The chat feature is just awesome. At the bottom right you will see “Chat (No. of your friends online)” and you just need to click on it and you will see all the friends that are online. Click on any online friend and chat with her/him. It is just too easy. In 2011, Facebook and Skype in a joint venture, launched Facebook video chat for browsers.
- Status Updates – Facebook status update is like telling people what are you up to. More over, your friends can like, comment and share your update again. You can control the privacy of individual status updates. Read: 10 ways to create stand out Facebook status updates.
- This feature is just too good. You can update your status messages with your feelings, what are you doing now…etc. It is fun.
- Applications – There are many apps on Facebook and the best thing is that there is no limit of adding them. There are also many games from Zynga such as Mafia Wars, Farmville, etc. which helps Facebook in getting more users.
Before moving to orkut, let me give you the image of the home page of Facebook in 2004 and how it has grown with the 2010 homepage.
In 2004 the homepage was like this:-
In 2010, see the growth of Facebook. The 2010 Facebook homepage:-
Now, lets move to Orkut.
Orkut was also launched in 2004. It was started by Orkut Büyükkökten and was later purchased by Google resulting in more publicity of Orkut and more members, though it is not much famous in United States it has many fans and members from India and Brazil. For the first year, United states had more than 50% traffic on Orkut but later on Brazil adopted that traffic. On 28 November 2009, Orkut was redesigned and many people loved it but on the other hand many people said that it was a copy of Facebook and Twitter. I also say that it is a slight copy of Facebook but still many people are using Orkut.
There are some of the orkut features which are just too good:-
- We can chat with our online buddies by clicking the online friends at the bottom right of our screen(bottom left in old Orkut).
- We can do video chat by Orkut,
which is not on Facebook. <Facebook video chat is available now>
- Scrapbook – The scrapbook is used for chatting, we can send our friends messages known as scraps which gets stored in the scrapbook.
- You can see other people’s profile without even adding them as friends.
- Applications – It contains many great applications such as Slapster, Crapster, Buddy Toss, etc. but the bad thing is that it has a limit of adding apps. We can add only 25 apps at one time…for adding more we have delete the old apps.
Orkut was better than Facebook earlier but as the time passed Facebook overtook Orkut and Fb is now biggest social networking site. According to me Facebook is better in privacy of a user as it has so many options for privacy. More over, in last 1 and half year, Orkut is almost dead and Google launched a new social networking site call Google+. So if you are still deciding between Facebook or Orkut, you should jump directly to Facebook.com and enjoy social networking site which is powered by 800+ million users.
My first preference is Facebook, How about you? Do let us know which social networking website do you like the most? Facebook or Orkut? If you are a Facebook Fan, don’t forget to like and share this post.
Get Free Blogging updates in your Email